• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Seperating a mated couple

McCall89

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm new to keeping bearded dragons and bought a full viv set up, along with two beardies, from a friend of a family member. I've had them for a month now and was told they were about 9-10 months old when I got them. The lady who owned them wasn't sure their sex, due to their young age. They've since mated (around two weeks ago - and the female is gravid). I'm concerned my female is only 10/11 months old so I'm monitoring her closely during the pregnancy and have no plan to incubate the eggs.

I'm worried that since they've mated once it will keep happening and my young female will grow unwell through having fertile eggs at such a young age. So my question is, can a mated couple that has grown up together be separated into two vivs without causing any undue stress?

I have them both in a 4ft vivarium at the moment and was looking to upgrade to a larger one to accommodate them fully grown anyway, would it be worth just getting a second tank and splitting them?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Bianca Brown

Juvenile Dragon
I would suggest to separate them especially male and female. He will wanting to mate with her constantly and that will stress your female out.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
HI - yes - get them housed separately asap, please. they don't need companionship. and - like Bianca said : he could mate her literally to death. after she lays her eggs - up her calcium please. she will need the extra calcium to make up for what she's lost in the egg shells. also - feed her more fatty foods - think super worms. she will need to get her weight and energy back up.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yes, he will always want to mate with her even if she is gravid. Separate ASAP! Like Canicke said, get ready to feed her lots of calcium rich foods and some fat. Hard boiled egg whites (whites only) are good for calcium.