• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Scale Rot - Bathing?

Rex Carnage

Hatchling Dragon
I heard that snakes can develop scale rot from getting bathed too often, my question is can the same happen to bearded dragons. I bath both of my two beardies once a day so they can get a little cleaned off and i dont have to clean their poop out of their tanks. can this lead to scale rot?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I heard that snakes can develop scale rot from getting bathed too often, my question is can the same happen to bearded dragons. I bath both of my two beardies once a day so they can get a little cleaned off and i dont have to clean their poop out of their tanks. can this lead to scale rot?
The potential is high when they are moist alot just like anything.. You need to make sure that they get fully dried off each time..I bathe mine 1-2 times a week as that's where they do their business..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yes, scale rot and other bacterial infections can happen if they are often wet and not dried off completely. I used to bathe mine a few times a week and now it's more like every 1-2 weeks. Unless they run through poop or are shedding, then I give them a bath.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I do the same, daily. The poop happens in there and I dry em

I hope I'm not messing him up

Dexter only goes in the tub too, that's why I don't let her go longer than a week without a soak.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
like said above - really dry them off when you bathe them daily. I, too, have my kiddos on a weekly bathing schedule. My girl will NOT poop in her viv and I generally don't have her out for however long it takes her to decide to poop while out playing. Put her in the bath - presto ! My boy poops every few days - but not yet in the bath.