• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Questions about squash ?

Sarah Kwiatkowski

Juvenile Dragon
What type of squash is the best for bearded dragons , butter nut , summer quash , ect . I was also wondering if it needs to be cooked or just peeled ? I thought it might make a good treat for my dragons! Can squash be feed to a younger dragon ? Sorry for so many questions !

gunkle

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member

cold blooded

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I microwave the Spaghetti squash. Just take a fork and poke some holes in it so it doesn't explode. Cook for about 5 minutes and then turn over and cook another 5 minutes. If you can put a knife or fork through it easily then it is done. If not cook it for a few more minutes.

Once it's cooked cut it in half. Be careful because it is very hot!! Let cool. Once cool enough to handle you will seen see why they call it Spaghetti Squash!! Take a fork and remove the seeds and discard then use the fork to scrape the flesh from the outer skin and put into a bowl. The flesh is just like spaghetti unlike other squashes which are more like a cooked potato.

Put aside some for you beardie. The rest you can eat just like you would Spaghetti. I like to put a good meat sauce over it with some fresh basil and parmesan cheese. A little garlic is always good too! :)

You can cook the butternut squash the same way in the microwave as well. I put a little aside for my beardie and the rest I prepare for myself with some butter and brown sugar to taste. Some walnuts mixed in are good too :) Who would have though your bearded dragon would get you to eat more healthy LOL!!

You can also use your oven at 350. Just cut the squash in half and put each face down in a casserole dish with a small amount of water. It's done when you can easy put a knife through the skin.

Jaycies

Juvenile Dragon
I microwave the Spaghetti squash. Just take a fork and poke some holes in it so it doesn't explode. Cook for about 5 minutes and then turn over and cook another 5 minutes. If you can put a knife or fork through it easily then it is done. If not cook it for a few more minutes.

Once it's cooked cut it in half. Be careful because it is very hot!! Let cool. Once cool enough to handle you will seen see why they call it Spaghetti Squash!! Take a fork and remove the seeds and discard then use the fork to scrape the flesh from the outer skin and put into a bowl. The flesh is just like spaghetti unlike other squashes which are more like a cooked potato.

Put aside some for you beardie. The rest you can eat just like you would Spaghetti. I like to put a good meat sauce over it with some fresh basil and parmesan cheese. A little garlic is always good too! :)

You can cook the butternut squash the same way in the microwave as well. I put a little aside for my beardie and the rest I prepare for myself with some butter and brown sugar to taste. Some walnuts mixed in are good too :) Who would have though your bearded dragon would get you to eat more healthy LOL!!

You can also use your oven at 350. Just cut the squash in half and put each face down in a casserole dish with a small amount of water. It's done when you can easy put a knife through the skin.
I agree with you about my beardie getting me to eat more healthy! So funny to be picking out various fruits and vegetables I've never tried before! LOL!

gunkle

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I think you ruined spaghetti for me. What about using organic baby food squash? Any downside? Kinda surprised you need to cook it for an animal that would not be cooking in the wild. Can it be served up uncooked?

cold blooded

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I think you ruined spaghetti for me. What about using organic baby food squash? Any downside? Kinda surprised you need to cook it for an animal that would not be cooking in the wild. Can it be served up uncooked?

yeah, but then they are not eating squash in the wild either. I understand you can cut it and shred it raw as well. Its just much harder to work with raw. BTW if you look in your grocers produce section they sometime have raw butternut squash already cut in 1 inch cubes. It's really convenient. Costco sometimes has it as well.

gunkle

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
If I can cut up or shred it raw and my BD will eat it then I will give it a try. Just don't want my house to smell like squash.... If you hadn't guessed I'm not much of a veggie eater but I buy them for my BD and want to mix it up a bit.