• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Preventing Reptile Sand Mites

Rex Carnage

Hatchling Dragon
Hey i have a question about reptile sand and mites, i recently heard that someone got a mite infestation in their bearded dragon tank right after they put in a reptile sand, I'm planning on making a little tub like thing in my female bearded dragons tank for when she needs to lay eggs, (I dont breed at all im just doing this so she doesnt get eggbound for whenever her body develops eggs and lays them) and i wanna put some sort of reptile sand in it but if theres a chance of a mite infestation i dont know if i want to, so basically i wanna know if theres any better alternates to reptile sand, (maybe a specific type of reptile sand) or something she can comfortably lay her eggs in whenever need be.

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
I can only speak from my own experience, when I 1st had my dragons I used the calcium sand, UNTIL 1 of my kids got sand impaction and it was a b**ch to get thru, my baby had a terrible time of it, he made it thru needless to say I only use paper towels and in 3 of my enclosures I have reptile carpet. I'd say stay away from sand, yes, they like to dig sometimes. Mine stopped digging and never dig to this day. Like I said, this is what's worked for me and my 8 bearded dragon kids, good luck☺

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Rex Carnage

Hatchling Dragon
I can only speak from my own experience, when I 1st had my dragons I used the calcium sand, UNTIL 1 of my kids got sand impaction and it was a b**ch to get thru, my baby had a terrible time of it, he made it thru needless to say I only use paper towels and in 3 of my enclosures I have reptile carpet. I'd say stay away from sand, yes, they like to dig sometimes. Mine stopped digging and never dig to this day. Like I said, this is what's worked for me and my 8 bearded dragon kids, good luck☺

i use certain short carpets for the flooring of there enclosure as well but i just mean so the female beardie can lay her eggs so she doesnt go eggbound and possibly die, usually beardies only lay eggs in dirt or sand as far as i know, id rather have sand in a little tub or pond like thing in her enclosure and her be able to lay her eggs then her refuse to lay her eggs just because theres nothing to dig in.

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
Ok, I misunderstood. I have 5 females and only 1 has laid 1 clutch, about 2 yrs ago, I had no idea she had them she then laid them in her cave in her enclosure, no eggs since. I'm thinking use good dirt from walmart? You could look and see if there's info about this on the sub forums. Let me know Whatcha do, I'm always about learning

Rex Carnage

Hatchling Dragon
i also just realized i messsed up on the main massage, Basically im wondering if anyone can give me any specific names of sand i can use for my female beardie (that wont attract Mites) that she can use for laying eggs.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I know most use rinsed play sand and a mixture of...... that part I'm not sure of however other's that do know the other part of this will chime in on this.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Don't use any reptile sand. Get children's play sand and rinse it real good. You can get a big bag of it for real cheap. When she is going to lay eggs you want the sand to be moist enough just so she can make a hole that won't cave in on her. Some people mix it with organic potting soil or eco earth.

CamoHerp

Bearded Dragon Egg
I rinse soil and play sand, and also bake it, soil with no fertilizer nothing in it, keep it wet and pack it together keeps together real good, if they dig it'll stay solid just keep it a little noise, the soil keeps the sand together better than it by itself

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk