• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

possible to over supplement?

Rex Carnage

Hatchling Dragon
hey everyone, i haven't had any problems with supplements as of yet but im just wondering for future reference and for anyone else wondering, is it possible to over supplement? like should you not use normal calcium without D3 etc at every feeding or how do you guys do it? so far ive been using calcium without d3 at every feeding.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I use calcium without D3 all the time. As long as UVB bulbs are replaced at the proper intervals, our dragons can synthesize their own D3 as they need it. The frightening thing, is that hypercalcemia presents with the same symptoms as hypocalcemia. When I start to see a yellow tint to urates, I know it's time to ease off on the calcium. Blood tests have confirmed my urate color hypothesis.

I used D3 for a while and noticed a reduction in UVB basking behavior. Unless I have a rescue come in with MBD, the calcium with D3 sits on my supply shelf and collects dust. I'm actually thinking about switching to a pure coral calcium supplement, since many of the marketed reptile calcium supplements don't specify their source.

Multivitamins are easy to overdo also, and can lead to a build up of vitamin A. I go for multis with beta carotene as the vit A source, as opposed to a synthetic vit A, which is hard, of not impossible, for dragons to metabolize properly.

My baby gets a few calcium dusted roaches daily, and my adults get calcium a couple times a week. Everyone gets multi once or twice a week with a few of their roaches and so far, all blood work that's been run has come back great!

I hope this helps :)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk