• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Possible Neurological Problems? :(

Ranteater

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone,

My beautiful 5 year old beardie has been acting off for a while now. Over the past year, I've taken her to countless veterinarians, all of which have been more or less duds, and I just don't know what else to do. She was diagnosed with cataracts, so maybe that has something to do with all of this, but I'm worried she's getting worse.
She won't eat unless I feed her (Carnivore Care/small crickets which I need to put between her "lips"), but she has a really hard time walking. She stumbles a lot and is now starting to caulk her head to the left and sometimes spins in a circle when moving around. She's still happy and everything in her tank checks out (she's even a good pooper!)...I just feel like something is wrong
Please, I'm so scared and I don't know what to do. She's my world, I don't know what I'd do if I lost her. I just want to help her in anyway I can. I know if it's neurological there's not much I can do, but maybe I could better proof her cage/my room? Let me know...

Important info:
Tank- 45 gallons
Lighting- Basking side is 95 degrees, cool side is 75-80; UVB is the 18in/15w
Substrate: Felt fake grass

- I soak her every other day for about 20min
- She's only eating Carnivore/Critical Care and small crickets which I have to feed her
- Has cataracts in both eyes, but left eye is the worst
- She's had x-rays done in the past, but nothing has ever shown up
*I'm attaching photos of her tilting to one side
1.jpg

2.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi everyone,

My beautiful 5 year old beardie has been acting off for a while now. Over the past year, I've taken her to countless veterinarians, all of which have been more or less duds, and I just don't know what else to do. She was diagnosed with cataracts, so maybe that has something to do with all of this, but I'm worried she's getting worse.
She won't eat unless I feed her (Carnivore Care/small crickets which I need to put between her "lips"), but she has a really hard time walking. She stumbles a lot and is now starting to caulk her head to the left and sometimes spins in a circle when moving around. She's still happy and everything in her tank checks out (she's even a good pooper!)...I just feel like something is wrong
Please, I'm so scared and I don't know what to do. She's my world, I don't know what I'd do if I lost her. I just want to help her in anyway I can. I know if it's neurological there's not much I can do, but maybe I could better proof her cage/my room? Let me know...

Important info:
Tank- 45 gallons
Lighting- Basking side is 95 degrees, cool side is 75-80; UVB is the 18in/15w
Substrate: Felt fake grass

- I soak her every other day for about 20min
- She's only eating Carnivore/Critical Care and small crickets which I have to feed her
- Has cataracts in both eyes, but left eye is the worst
- She's had x-rays done in the past, but nothing has ever shown up
*I'm attaching photos of her tilting to one sideView attachment 27079
View attachment 27080
Where is the T 8 uvb and is the cover off the fixture?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It sits on top of the screen lid of her tank like thisView attachment 27081
That needs to go inside the tank ASAP - T 8's are not strong enough to go thru screens- distance approx 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor-- she is developing neurological issues from lack of calcium- I would look at upgrading the UVB to a T 5-- you will need a different fixture-- a Zoo Med or sunblaster or Arcadia-- Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb--- the Zoo Med comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you want to get the 10.0 ASAP--

Ranteater

Bearded Dragon Egg
That needs to go inside the tank ASAP - T 8's are not strong enough to go thru screens- distance approx 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor-- she is developing neurological issues from lack of calcium- I would look at upgrading the UVB to a T 5-- you will need a different fixture-- a Zoo Med or sunblaster or Arcadia-- Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb--- the Zoo Med comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you want to get the 10.0 ASAP--
Got it, I'm going out right now to pick one up. Thank you. Is there anyway this can be reversed? Should I take her to the vet for a type of calcium supplement? The Critical Care has a good amount in it, but I want to make sure I'm doing everything possible.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Got it, I'm going out right now to pick one up. Thank you. Is there anyway this can be reversed? Should I take her to the vet for a type of calcium supplement? The Critical Care has a good amount in it, but I want to make sure I'm doing everything possible.
I will ask a friend of mine that's a reptile vet tech about the calcium supplement- she has not been able to absorb/ synethsize the calcium she's been ingesting- that's what uvb rays do - it cannot be reversed but it will prevent it from getting worse-- let me know what you get I will help you get it placed in the meantime get the T 8 in the tank or get the screen off so the fixture is unobstructed you want her sitting under it 6-8 inches

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I will ask a friend of mine that's a reptile vet tech about the calcium supplement- she has not been able to absorb/ synethsize the calcium she's been ingesting- that's what uvb rays do - it cannot be reversed but it will prevent it from getting worse-- let me know what you get I will help you get it placed in the meantime get the T 8 in the tank or get the screen off so the fixture is unobstructed you want her sitting under it 6-8 inches
How old is the T 8

Ranteater

Bearded Dragon Egg
How old is the T 8
I just replaced it, I know they lose power around 4-5 months. I know she has cataracts, but is there a certain bulb brand you recommend that will be easier on her eyes? Thank you so much, really.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just replaced it, I know they lose power around 4-5 months. I know she has cataracts, but is there a certain bulb brand you recommend that will be easier on her eyes? Thank you so much, really.
The UVB bulbs I recommended are very good and are not known to cause eye issues-- Arcadia D 3 12% are very good along w/ the Reptisun T 5-- the distance for those bulbs are 12- 15 inches directly above the basking decor- are you using a bright white basking bulb? No coil a solid one?

Ranteater

Bearded Dragon Egg
The UVB bulbs I recommended are very good and are not known to cause eye issues-- Arcadia D 3 12% are very good along w/ the Reptisun T 5-- the distance for those bulbs are 12- 15 inches directly above the basking decor- are you using a bright white basking bulb? No coil a solid one?
Awesome, okay I will look for those brands. I use a solid one for basking yes. Do you prefer the solid or coil?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Awesome, okay I will look for those brands. I use a solid one for basking yes. Do you prefer the solid or coil?
Solid-- I don't like any type of coils! I hope to hear from the vet tech tonite shes usually on late at nite--- your not using any colored bulbs are you?

Ranteater

Bearded Dragon Egg
Solid-- I don't like any type of coils! I hope to hear from the vet tech tonite shes usually on late at nite--- your not using any colored bulbs are you?
Thank you so much for contacting your friend, I really appreciate it. No, no colors. I don't like the red ones, they're way too abrasive imo. Not sure how well the blue or purple ones work. If it's cold enough at night I use the black ceramic heat emitters.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much for contacting your friend, I really appreciate it. No, no colors. I don't like the red ones, they're way too abrasive imo. Not sure how well the blue or purple ones work. If it's cold enough at night I use the black ceramic heat emitters.
Good cause they cause eye damage--- that's why I asked-- how long has the dragon been blind? I am sorry that happened to her

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good cause they cause eye damage--- that's why I asked-- how long has the dragon been blind? I am sorry that happened to her
I looked at your fixture and it's longer than 18 inches-- how long is it? It looks like it's 36"-- get a 24" fixture - zoo med if you can-- you may haft to order it off amazon-

Ranteater

Bearded Dragon Egg
She went blind about a year ago. The vets I've been to can't figure why and neither can I. I do everything I can to help her along and she has such a happy-go-lucky attitude so it really doesn't seem to get her down. She's my best friend <3

Yeah I'm going to buy a new fixture I think. I'm looking on Amazon as we speak. The local pet stores were out of everything, but I got a small, emergency bulb.

Ranteater

Bearded Dragon Egg
She went blind about a year ago. The vets I've been to can't figure why and neither can I. I do everything I can to help her along and she has such a happy-go-lucky attitude so it really doesn't seem to get her down. She's my best friend <3

Yeah I'm going to buy a new fixture I think. I'm looking on Amazon as we speak. The local pet stores were out of everything, but I got a small, emergency bulb.
Does this look okay? I would have to buy a 10.0 with it but that's fine

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Does this look okay? I would have to buy a 10.0 with it but that's fine

Yes that is the one -- ---- here is what I got so far from the vet tech -- please answer the question and I will get it to her --

So she is giving Critical care daily? Does she use an individual calcium
supplement or not?

Ranteater

Bearded Dragon Egg
She gets Crit
Yes that is the one -- ---- here is what I got so far from the vet tech -- please answer the question and I will get it to her --

So she is giving Critical care daily? Does she use an individual calcium
supplement or not?
She gets Critical care every few days and small crickets dusted with calcium every few days as well. It's a bit of a switch off