• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Please help

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Just remember, he only gets hydration in the bath if he actually drinks water. It's been proven that taken water in through their vent is a myth and the only way they get water is through their mouth by either the food they eat or actually drinking water.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That's interesting. I never heard that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a real sad, sad test someone did with a dragon that was dying and they soaked it in dye and then cut it open to do an autopsy and found that none of the fluid went into it's vent at all.

C_2006_27

Bearded Dragon Egg
How old is he? My girl was impacted and the vet told me the mucous that followed the urate was because of the straining. Because both the poop and we channels connect midway down them and join to exit the same place (vent) that this is how the mucous attaches to the urate. Is he dehydrated? Does he drink much? Has he been poop again since that last urate/mucous one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He is 9 months old approximately, I figured out why he hadn't been shedding regularly and I have a major problem with keeping humidity high. Although I can't see it being a problem during the summer here. I live in North Carolina, and one day it's 24 degree's the next day it's 65 and sunny. So drastic weather changes here and usually when it's a bit warmer outside it's easier somehow to keep his terrarium at a solid 30 percent humidity, but I'm really struggling. I may have to buy a digital gauge to get a better idea of have one of those sticky gauges and it's reading 10 percent.

C_2006_27

Bearded Dragon Egg
There is a real sad, sad test someone did with a dragon that was dying and they soaked it in dye and then cut it open to do an autopsy and found that none of the fluid went into it's vent at all.

I went ahead and added a water bowl to his terrarium, we give him some pumpkin squash in a syringe sometimes as a treat. It's filled with some water and I always mist his greens really well, he eats supers as his staple because no matter what I did with my Dubai he wouldn't go for them, he'd eat 2 and then would stop. It's also important to note the Dubai some of them were adults and bigger than the space between his eyes so I had to just stop. The place I ordered from was very deceptive on the size of the Dubai so I didn't really know what I was getting. Forget where I ordered them from online, but It simply said medium-large 3/4 inch to 1.25 but I measured one of the Dubai and it was almost 2 inches !!!!! So I was pretty pissed when I got the package, I decided maybe trying to breed them was a good idea but I live with my parents and they both gave me a quick hell no for a response, so that didn't work.

As far as crickets go, I'm experienced with those but they stink and chirp really loudly when I kept them, I had a ton of escapees. So that's why I'm going with the supers, but I'm offering salad every day.

C_2006_27

Bearded Dragon Egg
Also I had a big question for Patsy or whomever experienced with possibly doing a diy background and a platform, to make it fun for my beardie. Currently my set up I'll take a picture of it, isn't bad at all. I just want something new that will be ideal for me. I've heard of polystyrene rocks, but they put all these chemicals and junk in it to make it look like a rock, and melt it with flames. I'm wondering if it's even safe post product to trust it enough in order to let my beardie enjoy what I made him. And is the basking light going to set off any of those chemicals? From the home made fake rocks.

C_2006_27

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is his set up, I used a cat scratching thing as a makeshift ramp. It's secured by the weight of the rock + pushing against the edge of the half log. All I do is just re set this each time so it doesn't fall with him and it's very stable.

Attachments

• IMG_20170317_102222227.jpg
    IMG_20170317_102222227.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 34

C_2006_27

Bearded Dragon Egg
Also there is this red spot on his mouth by the scales? What is this ? Could it be from the log again? That's kinda why I wanna replace the stuff in the terrarium with this home made stuff. Sorry it's a lot of replies and ?'s I apologise

Attachments

• IMG_20170317_102316578.jpg
    IMG_20170317_102316578.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 22

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I usually put him into the bath about every 2 days and if he goes he goes, but if not I'll try one day later. I mainly do it to just keep him hydrated bathing him so much. He seems to love it as long as I'm the one bathing him. Usually though he'll go about 2 times a week. It does seem like he strains a bit
Does he drink while in the bath? If the urates were hard that is a sign of dehydration but the color is good nice and white.. it does look a bit mucousy
you can dribble water on the nose and see if he drinks it, you can try hornworms for hydration.. They don't absorb water thru their vent that has been proven false.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
My dragons LOVE the cat scratchers, whenever they free range, they always go for the scratchers LOL!. I don't have any experience with making my own backgrounds or hides or anything like that. I use the magnetic ledges for all my pets and don't have a problem. When the dragons were younger I had a large magnetic ledge that they used to love to sit on and then they would go underneath to get away from the "sun".

We have the same humidity issues here. I just try to make sure my humidifier is running in the house to keep it humid. We are around the 30% mark in the lizard tanks. I would put a water bowl in but they would just walk through it like they do their salads and make a mess.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I went ahead and added a water bowl to his terrarium, we give him some pumpkin squash in a syringe sometimes as a treat. It's filled with some water and I always mist his greens really well, he eats supers as his staple because no matter what I did with my Dubai he wouldn't go for them, he'd eat 2 and then would stop. It's also important to note the Dubai some of them were adults and bigger than the space between his eyes so I had to just stop. The place I ordered from was very deceptive on the size of the Dubai so I didn't really know what I was getting. Forget where I ordered them from online, but It simply said medium-large 3/4 inch to 1.25 but I measured one of the Dubai and it was almost 2 inches !!!!! So I was pretty pissed when I got the package, I decided maybe trying to breed them was a good idea but I live with my parents and they both gave me a quick hell no for a response, so that didn't work.

As far as crickets go, I'm experienced with those but they stink and chirp really loudly when I kept them, I had a ton of escapees. So that's why I'm going with the supers, but I'm offering salad every day.

Dubia are edible even when they are a bit too big as they don't have the hard shell they are mostly meaty bugs, the adults have some shell but its edible.
crickets suck to breed/keep. super's are great just know they are a bit fatty so watch the amount.