• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Please help with rescued dragons (NSHP?)

frosstman

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, my teenage daughter has had a very healthy bearded dragon for 4 years. He loves human contact and is the love of her life and a member of our family.

One week ago we came into the possession of two more bearded dragons that were a rescue. I was shocked at their condition. There was a female kept in a tiny cage that was skin and bones. She walks normally though. There was a male that has more weight on but has limited use of his back legs. I believe it is NSHP or a Metabolic Bone Disease. They were housed separately. The lady who owned them said she fed them superworms in a dish and baby food off a spoon. She had superworms when I was there to pick them up but I think it was just for show as the female was so skinny. The lady said she never fed greens or vegetables. The only lights were a regular coil bulb from the dollar store for one and an ancient UVB coil bulb for the other. There were no calcium or vitamin supplements. She had them for 4 years and she stated they were two years old when she got them. They had a substrate in their small cages that was like seeds of some kind.

I live in Pictou County, Nova Scotia and there are no vets with any reptile experience. I have phoned and checked with them all.

I immediately purchased new mercury vapour bulbs for both ($140). Their warm spots are 100 degrees. They love to soak in the light like I have never seen.They are now in large enclosures with tile floors. They have fresh greens daily. I do believe though that they have each only eaten one or two greens that I got them to eat by hand. They do not know to go and eat them. They are being fed dusted and gut-loaded crickets and superworms daily. They get a warm bath and misted daily to try and hydrate them. Both seem to have good personalities although the male did bite me once during his bath. He seems to become panicky when he can't use his legs properly and I believe this caused him to bite as he thrashed in his bath. Our original dragon has never bitten. The male had a very large bowel movement while bathing on the second day. This was almost like a small tootsie roll. Much bigger than our dragon has ever done and more solid. The female has gone twice but they were smaller and wetter.

They are both very sleepy - especially the male. He falls asleep during feeding

I plan to keep the female for my second daughter and I hope that she will just gain the weight she needs over time. I am not as worried about her because she lifts her body and walks normally.

My question is this: Will the male regain use of his back legs? I need to rehome him eventually but do not wish to do so until I know that he will become healthy. He drags his bum and sometimes flips right over on his back. It is hard for him to climb. My daughter's friend wants to take this male. I don't want to give a special needs dragon to a new owner but cannot keep three full setups in our home.

I have pictures of both if there is a way to post them. I really need some advice.

frosstman

Bearded Dragon Egg
The male is in the bath.

Attachments

• MelviniPhone 176.JPG
    MelviniPhone 176.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 76
  • MelviniPhone 177.JPG
    MelviniPhone 177.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 71
  • MelviniPhone 178.JPG
    MelviniPhone 178.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 76
  • MelviniPhone 179.JPG
    MelviniPhone 179.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 73
  • MelviniPhone 180.JPG
    MelviniPhone 180.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The male may not fully regain use of his back legs, but he should be able to get around just fine. You're on the right track with husbandry and getting good food into them. You can also try offering water via a plastic eye dropper to help with hydration, I suspect the firm stool is related to dehydration.

Despite the emaciated appearance they have, they should recover and do quite well under your care, providing their issues are stemming from the previous owner's neglect.

You're doing a great job, and thank you for taking those little darlings in. Keep us posted and ask away with any questions you can think of!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Just want to mention something. Go very easy on the protein right now. It takes a lot out of the body to breakdown protein and giving an emaciated dragon too much right off the bat can be taxing on it's organs. Try mixing a veggie slurry. I do my healthy greens mixed with plain coconut water and my supplements, calcium w/D3, bee pollen, probiotic. I like to use coconut water instead of Pedialite. The slurry will help with hydration as well as provide nutrition.

How were the males back legs after he pooped? Sometimes if they are impacted, it pushes on a nerve in the legs and affects their walking. Another thing to look at are his femoral pores. If they are real clogged, that could give him some problems with walking too. If they are clogged, the only thing you can do is give more frequent warm baths and gently scrub with a toothbrush until the gunk comes out.

frosstman

Bearded Dragon Egg
Update: The male had to be euthanized. He had suffered a broken back at some point. He would never walk properly again and was in pain whenever he moved. He also had broken teeth and limbs inn the past. I am not sure he went through or how but it was terrible.

The female is doing fabulous. She has put on weight and has learned to eat vegetables as well as insects. Her personality is so sweet and my daughter is in love with her. She actually has substance to her now and muscle tone.

Attachments

• MelviniPhone 146.JPG
    MelviniPhone 146.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 54

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
So sorry to hear about the male. I'm glad that he's not suffering anymore. I would hate to imagine what he went through before you got him. So happy the female is doing better, she looks great!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry to hear about the male but yes he's no longer in pain poor thing I can't even imagine what he endured. Super glad to see that the female is gaining weight and is getting the TLC she deserved.

frosstman

Bearded Dragon Egg
Update: Just wanted to give an update on the female. Tulip has recovered wonderfully in the last 10 months. Compare to the before picture. Hard to believe she is the same dragon.
Check out these pics:

Attachments

• GabrielleiPhone 2404.JPG
    GabrielleiPhone 2404.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 33
  • GabrielleiPhone 2384.JPG
    GabrielleiPhone 2384.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 29
  • MelviniPhone 177.JPG
    MelviniPhone 177.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 29

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Update: Just wanted to give an update on the female. Tulip has recovered wonderfully in the last 10 months. Compare to the before picture. Hard to believe she is the same dragon.
Check out these pics:
She looks amazing!! great job!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Check out these pics:

Amazing! Good job