• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Planning to build a wood enclosure, need advise

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello everyone!

I've recently brought home a lovely new bearded dragon friend. He's the first one I've ever had, and I'm so excited to watch him grow and give him the best care I can.

He's in a temporary 20 gal. glass tank until my SO and I build him a large wooden enclosure we have planned to complete in the next month. I have a few questions from anyone who uses a wood enclosure or has built one!

What is the best way to go about cleaning the enclosure being as wood can collect quite a bit of filth easier than glass paneling can?

What is the best wood you would suggest using?

I was thinking a ply wood with a coating of some sort would be easiest for cleaning purposes while more cost efficient than glass paneling (we have to work within our means), but I'm worried some of the coating would either be bad for my lizard or dangerous in the presence of heat. Any suggestions?

Also, if anyone knows any good guides for building a wooden enclosure links would be great. I've been looking at tons of other people's builds today and gathering ideas so we can get to work asap.

We are going to the hardware store tonight to scope out our options, any input would be much appreciated!

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I used 1/2 plywood. I'd recommend using pond armor to seal the inside of the enclosure. It makes it easy to scrub clean. You can use tile or a mat on the bottom for substrate, you'll want something textured, but also cleanable. I also found that plexiglass sliding doors are cheaper and lightweight than glass, so I'd highly recommend looking into that, I went with 1/4 inch for my builds.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Ooh, thank you for the pond armor suggestion. I've never heard of that before, but anything to make it easier to clean. Have you had any troubles with the plexi glass and the heat lamps? We were already planning to use plexi over glass, but I am a bit worried it will melt or warp next to the heat lamp.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
Ooh, thank you for the pond armor suggestion. I've never heard of that before, but anything to make it easier to clean. Have you had any troubles with the plexi glass and the heat lamps? We were already planning to use plexi over glass, but I am a bit worried it will melt or warp next to the heat lamp.
well, im apart of another forum, the tortoise forum. i am planning on doing a wood enclosure for my tortoise. ive hear not to use plexi because it easily warps. you can go to lows and get replacement glass for like $11 ive been told and then can get a sliding track at ace hardware ive been told aswell. and lowe's should cut it for you, theres a coating that i cant think of at the moment that everyone uses for their tortoises i think its called dry lock(also waterproof and safe) ill look at the responses again and get back to you. but i recommend a good plywood such as birch especially because it finishes better and looks better if that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I have plexiglass sliding front doors. The rest of the enclosure is wood, and the lamp socket is mounted to the top, so it's far from the plexi. I haven't had any issues unless I forgot to secure the door, in which case I found my little guy roaming around the reptile room haha.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bclifton

Bearded Dragon Egg
63357ec1d88f171be53b77867864c840.jpg
767811b6489cc4f4b3efeebf31807971.jpg

This is one I just completed today. My first one. But this is an idea for you to go off of? Mines a 4x2x2.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon

This is one I just completed today. My first one. But this is an idea for you to go off of? Mines a 4x2x2.

did you use anything to seal the wood? (besides silicone) or is that just white wood?

Bclifton

Bearded Dragon Egg
I used "melamine"? Idk how to spell it. Sold at Home Depot. It was 15 dollars a board. 48x24 each Board. I bought 5. Kinda pricey but I could find a 4x8 which would have been cheaper. I chose this because it is heat resistant and water resistant. I used silicone for the corners. I have a full plexiglass front. And half of my top will come off for
Me to get in there. Don't do a full plexiglass front unless you want to spend money like I did. On accident... I had it cut then found out it was almost 100 dollars.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
I used "melamine"? Idk how to spell it. Sold at Home Depot. It was 15 dollars a board. 48x24 each Board. I bought 5. Kinda pricey but I could find a 4x8 which would have been cheaper. I chose this because it is heat resistant and water resistant. I used silicone for the corners. I have a full plexiglass front. And half of my top will come off for
Me to get in there. Don't do a full plexiglass front unless you want to spend money like I did. On accident... I had it cut then found out it was almost 100 dollars.

hahahah!! im doing this same thing but on a much larger scale for a tortoise. im going to be using actual glass, plexi is wayyyy to expensive for me. my whole thing is going to be built from plywood, 1x2s and 2x4s.

Bclifton

Bearded Dragon Egg
I purchased a uromastyx without being informed properly. And I can't keep his tank warm enough so I built this. Bought him a week ago so I had to rush. I could have planned better and spent wayyy less money. But it is what it is. Just waiting on the sand

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
I purchased a uromastyx without being informed properly. And I can't keep his tank warm enough so I built this. Bought him a week ago so I had to rush. I could have planned better and spent wayyy less money. But it is what it is. Just waiting on the sand

im building mine mainly to keep humidity and so he can grow into it. the tank size is hopefully going to be about 4'x8' if you need any suggestions on building a cheap stand let me know. can cost like $20-$30

Bclifton

Bearded Dragon Egg
im building mine mainly to keep humidity and so he can grow into it. the tank size is hopefully going to be about 4'x8' if you need any suggestions on building a cheap stand let me know. can cost like $20-$30

Hit me up with that advice because a stand is what I need next and I'm trying to avoid more headaches and and spend less dollars. Pleease

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member

This is a good design, thank you for posting! It's definitely easier to plan out seeing what other people have done so far!

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member

I am looking into using either this "melamine" you speak of or pond armor. Have you experience with pond armor as well? They are similarly priced and I'm trying to weigh the positives and negatives of each.

Bclifton

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am looking into using either this "melamine" you speak of or pond armor. Have you experience with pond armor as well? They are similarly priced and I'm trying to weigh the positives and negatives of each.

Just melamine. This is My only time building. All others have been glass.

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Just melamine. This is My only time building. All others have been glass.

Ooh, I see.. I've been researching melamine. Been thinking all this time it is a sealant, but it looks like the boards just already come sealed in melamine? I've found mostly particle board sealed in melamine. Will that work? I worry because particle board can get ruined if it gets wet.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
Ooh, I see.. I've been researching melamine. Been thinking all this time it is a sealant, but it looks like the boards just already come sealed in melamine? I've found mostly particle board sealed in melamine. Will that work? I worry because particle board can get ruined if it gets wet.
i looked this up previously because i was curious too. for your factor of it as long as youre not pouring water on it and seal the corners properly with silicone you should be fin. but its not meant for constant wetness contact. id put like ceramic/slate tiles under your substrate to keep a barrier.

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Ah, cool. I'm on the fence between the melamine boards and plywood with pond armor sealant. Looking into pricing, but I'm thinking the plywood wouldn't be too much more for a much nicer appearance.

Bclifton

Bearded Dragon Egg
That's early what mine looked like. Particle board with a layer of white stuff which I would guess is called melamine. It's worked great so far