• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

noob building a terrarium, looking for feedback

stuffingz

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok, So i Am purchasing a bearded dragon this year and i have a 40 gallon breeder I'm setting up with Styrofoam that I will be grouting later. So far this is what it looks like. The big cube is a combo hide/digging pool with a wall for climbing. next there is the basking platform with a set of stairs to get to the top. underneath the stairs is another hide, this one is accessed from the right side of the stairs. Finally I have the background foam sized but not decorated. Does this look like a good setup to you guys?
IMG_0150.JPG
IMG_0151.JPG
IMG_0153.JPG
IMG_0154.JPG
IMG_0156.JPG
IMG_0157.JPG

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
my first thought : WOW what a mess - sure glad I don't have to clean it !! :) I kinda wonder about a digging box that high - sand tends to be heavy AND I have reservations about putting sand in my vivs (vivarium) at all. the steps up to the platform and the platform itself look great. Make sure you get your heat gradients set up. great project - look forward to seeing it all done (and clean)

stuffingz

Bearded Dragon Egg
It is a huge mess... [emoji58][emoji52]

I will be putting wood pellets in the pit and the bottom will have desert repticarpet. I'm probably about 2/3's done with the foam work. I think I'm also going to go heavy on the grout and sealant, just for durability.

I'm hoping to have the project done in time for the Omaha Nebraska reptile convention on April 30th. I'll make sure to update as I work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derbydragon77

Hatchling Dragon
I think it looks great!! I'm not a professor in beardies but there are some beardies that don't even like digging, just depends on their personality. I have a large enclosure and want to try to build one of those but I'm terrified, so I comend you on your efforts.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

stuffingz

Bearded Dragon Egg
I think it looks great!! I'm not a professor in beardies but there are some beardies that don't even like digging, just depends on their personality. I have a large enclosure and want to try to build one of those but I'm terrified, so I comend you on your efforts.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

It's actually really easy so far. It is messy and time consuming though. I didn't know some beardies don't do digging, I can just take it out if it doesn't work out.

gordo86

Hatchling Dragon
Nice looking formation. I would like to do something like this but unsure of type of coating to use to finish it the cost and where to get it. I went into a couple of hardware stores and asked if they would have anything and they just looked at me like i'm stupid and informed me they sell paint for houses lo

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

stuffingz

Bearded Dragon Egg
Nice looking formation. I would like to do something like this but unsure of type of coating to use to finish it the cost and where to get it. I went into a couple of hardware stores and asked if they would have anything and they just looked at me like i'm stupid and informed me they sell paint for houses lo

Just get some dry grout, add water and coloring and paint on. Once dry add a sealant

stuffingz

Bearded Dragon Egg
I finally finished putting it together and got most of the grout work done today. It was really easy.

For the foam I just cut out rough shapes to fill in small gaps properly. I applied hot glue to hold all of the foam together and added a second support for the upper deck.
b40007924a4386a7b5caade650621052.jpg

First is a picture with 1 coat. Notice all the white spots and rough edges.
0f30a088702457d70bb300e2fb397bfd.jpg

This is a picture with 2 coats. Everything is filled in smooth
0b90d9aa8d46db7fe6febaee6a7abd7d.jpg

The second coat is where the shaping happens. I did a lot of dabbing to fill in small holes and circular motions to shape the dips and used small piles of grout to make some mounds. I dipped my brush in water and shook off the excess then finally did strokes in the same direction all around the piece for symmetry.

Once I do my final over tomorrow to detail out the last bit of structure and do some paint detailing research then Next I will be applying acrylic paints to give it depth and finally apply the clear coat. Stay tuned.

Bclifton

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys... so I just built my first Viv and I'm online looking at DIY and reptile basking platforms and I can find anything I think is worth the money. Then I see this... how does one go about doing this and making it safe for their lizard? I have a Uromastyx and a ton of foam that I keep for some reason. If you could help me that would be amazing.

Bclifton

Bearded Dragon Egg
Oh and I forgot to tell you this look AWESOME! I never thought to do something like this.

stuffingz

Bearded Dragon Egg
Next update, I bought some cheap matte acrylic paints and just did this. I will start on he other piece tomorrow.

I just went back and fourth between colors adding layers tool it looked more natural. I have no idea what I'm doing really.
ca92803578913818b7e6a733276ec383.jpg
ca49f4a9bb025937a9385a996c6381d8.jpg

stuffingz

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok I'm done I think. Maybe another coat of sealant. I need to solution the background too.
a62a795858a459e2ea27b863dc692ced.jpg
1817c6017e46e665f734dc45ade91508.jpg
0b207c5536556d8d48c9c6a39678b124.jpg
adb0ffd0e6f30b1c0949576c0582392e.jpg
9e8ef79bf01e20b74536516910b34d66.jpg
02766ac642e599f84b741cf935067998.jpg
c1679d53f80dc589160fa445a29d08e9.jpg
c33e6bb95f2c0aa2ad03ceeebea43440.jpg
96d13c827116ca80cfd4bbba2a742188.jpg

stuffingz

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys... so I just built my first Viv and I'm online looking at DIY and reptile basking platforms and I can find anything I think is worth the money. Then I see this... how does one go about doing this and making it safe for their lizard? I have a Uromastyx and a ton of foam that I keep for some reason. If you could help me that would be amazing.

I used a polycrylic deck sealant as seen here. I got it at Walmart with the other deck stuff.

345dd94048d46cda69feebf5041a5dd0.jpg

Xoek

Bearded Dragon Egg
What's the durability like on something like this. Would it be appropriate for an outdoor enclosure, exposed to the elements?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

gordo86

Hatchling Dragon
Looks lile it came up pretty nice. Have you finished the whole project yet or just the basking rock?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is a huge mess... [emoji58][emoji52]

I will be putting wood pellets in the pit and the bottom will have desert repticarpet. I'm probably about 2/3's done with the foam work. I think I'm also going to go heavy on the grout and sealant, just for durability.

I'm hoping to have the project done in time for the Omaha Nebraska reptile convention on April 30th. I'll make sure to update as I work.

I just wanted to mention that I would avoid pellets that can be swallowed and that some types of woods are poisonous to beardies.