• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

No uvb light for a day - should I still feed?

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
Hey y'all quick question - if my beardie has been without UVB for a day, can I still feed him at the end of the day? I know heat is integral to their digestion, but UVB as well?

FYI - this doesn't happen often - the story is that sometimes I have to leave at 5:30 am for work, so I dont want to turn on all his lights and Jack with his circadian rhythm, so I have my partner turn on all the lights and do the morning feeding. For some reason he forgets the UVB light though. He turns on the heat lights but I guess doesn't notice the large 3 foot long tube light *rolls eyes*. This has happened a few times so I thought it was time to ask y'all. Is it safe to feed Skittles tonight?

PS - I think I may have to leave a giant bright sticky note saying "TURN ME ON!!!!" by the switch.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
is it ok? probably. Is it advisable? probably not. Will he starve if he doesn't eat for a day? not. Go to your local hardware store and pick up some timers. They are TOTALLY lifesavers!! I work insane hours and timers let me work as early and / or as late as my heart (well, the boss's heart) desires.
You can get fancy timers (ok - I got the fancy ones cuz I can set different times for different lights and it looks high tech! :) ) but you don't really NEED fancy !

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
is it ok? probably. Is it advisable? probably not. Will he starve if he doesn't eat for a day? not. Go to your local hardware store and pick up some timers. They are TOTALLY lifesavers!! I work insane hours and timers let me work as early and / or as late as my heart (well, the boss's heart) desires.
You can get fancy timers (ok - I got the fancy ones cuz I can set different times for different lights and it looks high tech! :) ) but you don't really NEED fancy !

Yeah, everyone else is on timers except him... the problem is that they need at least 2 hours of light after I feed him, and his evening meal is not on a strict schedule - sometimes he gets fed at 6, sometimes 10, and everywhere in between. I don't know if I can get into a strict schedule for evening feedings because of my schedule.

But I will hold off on feeding him tonight. He got his morning meal, and I turned the UVB on when I got home so I'll just let him digest and feed him tomorrow.

Thank you!!!

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think I probably wouldn't feed him after 6 or 7. definitely not 10. how old is your kid? if he's not a baby / juvenile you do not have to feed him protein every day. leave him greens and let him eat to his hearts content and give bugs when you can.

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
He is 9 months. He gets salad and worms in the morning and roaches in the evening. Why does it matter if I feed him at 10, as long as he has heat/light for two hours to digest? His photoperiod is on average of 16 hours, which is normal? Not trying to be argumentative, just don't see why it is an issue

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You want to mimic a day time schedule as close as possible. That means lights 12 hours on & 12 hours off or 14 hours on & 10 hours off. You want to try to match what is going on in the outside world. Feeding protein once a day for an adult dragon is perfectly fine. If you leave the salad in the tank for the whole day, they will eat that if they are hungry enough.