• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New owner

LilBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys, I would like to introduce myself to this community which has already helped me plenty! I've been an owner for 3 days now, I have been interested in getting a pet for a good while and a few weeks ago I started reading up on bearded dragons, something about them appealed to me. A few days ago I started just going around pet stores to see what they have and gather information.

When I visited a store, I saw my little man there in the back of the store, only bearded dragon there and when I asked about him, I was told that he had just arrived, the other owners had told the petstore owners that they had to take him in otherwise they would just throw him on the side of the road or something :eek: anyways that really hit me and after we spoke for a few minutes, the little man was going to be a part of my family. I'm glad and excited to have the opportunity to provide him with a loving and comfortable home!

I've spent the last few days (since I got him) fairly stressed as the information online is so abundant, its hard to know what's good and what isn't but I've managed to get an idea of the basics and also spoke to a few people who own healthy beardies for some tips.

That's it for my introduction, I do also have a few questions (not sure if this is the right place for those) but if some of you come across this and don't mind.

The pet store gave me a fairly good all-in-one deal as the abandoning owner just gave them everything. I got a 40 gallon tank, a red day 75w basking bulb, a spiral uvb bulb & a night time blueish/purple 75w bulb along with decorations such as that branch you'll see in the picture, a big water bowl (almost like a small pool) and a fake plant that I usually have dripping water into his bowl. That and some crushed wallnut shells, food, calcium.

I went in there with the idea that loose substrates were a risk but the pet store owners managed to convince me otherwise (probably for the extra $) and convinced me to buy the crushed wallnut shells. I have re-read so much about it when I got home that I instantly ordered some reptile carpet to replace the loose substrate pronto. To you repti carpet users, my first question is how do you just clean the poop off of it? I understand you can just wipe it off but what's safe to sanitize it afterwards? I read about a few special reptile friendly cleaners.

I had him on the purple night light for the first 2 nights but have since then been told by many that since my house doesn't go under 70, that it would be better to just turn the night light off as it could be bad for his sleep, I did just that tonight and for the first time he actually is sleeping on his branch (instead of under laying in the sand). I also plan on ordering some ceramic heating bulbs incase I ever need them.

As for the lights, I read that the curly bulbs like he has are bad, I am planning on getting him something like the reptisun 10 high output fluorescent bulbs as they seem to be the most highly reputed. I am kind of unsure about which size I should get since the tank is 36" some say to have it as wide as the tank and some say to have it just cover 2/3rds. I also read that the terrarium hoods that come from the same brand only work in USA sockets and I am canadian so I am going to have to find information about where I could find a comparable hood. So I am thinking of using the reptisun to replace the curly uvb light they gave me (who knows how long its been used by them, it may not be full power) and either a clear basking light made for reptiles or a flood light as some have mentionned to use.

Sorry for the super lengthy post, I just want to get the whole situation out there and make sure that I am providing him with the best environment he can have as I want him to be happy. Thanks for reading and hopefully I'll get to talk to a few of you :)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum and to beardies!!! I am so glad that you have giving this sweet fella a good home..

We have put together a ton of information for new comers and you will find links under several of our comments and they will take you to the threads that we have created. In there you will find food links, bug info, temps, lighting and well .... everything lol

Glad to hear you are ditching the loose substrate and getting carpet, you can also get ceramic tile, shelf liner, paper towel.. You can get sanitizer/cleaner sprays for the carpet so while 1 is being cleaned you have another you can put in there.

Yes they do NOT need any lighting at night.. Their parietal eye (organ) that has a "sensor" ontop of their head acts as a 3rd eye that detects shadows and lights.. So if you have a light on at night of any color they never actually get to sleep. and you end up with a cranky dragon.

Yes Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 or an Arcadia 12% would be the most common for UVB.. and it should cover 2/3rd of the tank with some of that overlapping with your basking light as they need both in order to digest and absorb and synthesize the nutrients. I have 2 40 gal breeder tanks and I have the Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 and I believe it is 24" long with a 22" bulb.. The basking bulb is just going to vary and you need to see what is best for your dragon and it also depends on how old/young the dragon is as they need different temps..

Hope that helps and like I said the links should be right below this sentence...

LilBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Someone will be along soon to help you, I just wanted to say, "Welcome!"
Thanks
Welcome to the forum and to beardies!!! I am so glad that you have giving this sweet fella a good home..

We have put together a ton of information for new comers and you will find links under several of our comments and they will take you to the threads that we have created. In there you will find food links, bug info, temps, lighting and well .... everything lol

Glad to hear you are ditching the loose substrate and getting carpet, you can also get ceramic tile, shelf liner, paper towel.. You can get sanitizer/cleaner sprays for the carpet so while 1 is being cleaned you have another you can put in there.

Yes they do NOT need any lighting at night.. Their parietal eye (organ) that has a "sensor" ontop of their head acts as a 3rd eye that detects shadows and lights.. So if you have a light on at night of any color they never actually get to sleep. and you end up with a cranky dragon.

Yes Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 or an Arcadia 12% would be the most common for UVB.. and it should cover 2/3rd of the tank with some of that overlapping with your basking light as they need both in order to digest and absorb and synthesize the nutrients. I have 2 40 gal breeder tanks and I have the Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 and I believe it is 24" long with a 22" bulb.. The basking bulb is just going to vary and you need to see what is best for your dragon and it also depends on how old/young the dragon is as they need different temps..

Hope that helps and like I said the links should be right below this sentence...
Thanks, Ive already thoroughly read your articles :) I do have another question which I havent yet found a concrete answer, my guy seems to see himself a lot in the reflection of the tank and hes always doing that head bobbing thing (makes me laugh every time but I think he thinks another beardie is nearby). That being said I dont want him on edge thinking someone else is there, I read some places that I could place some specially made stickers on the outside of the glass to give it a new look and to cut down on some reflection. I would prefer only doing that for 1-2 of the sides so we can still clearly see him and the other way around. Have you had any similar experiences or know any solutions? Thanks in advance

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks

Thanks, Ive already thoroughly read your articles :) I do have another question which I havent yet found a concrete answer, my guy seems to see himself a lot in the reflection of the tank and hes always doing that head bobbing thing (makes me laugh every time but I think he thinks another beardie is nearby). That being said I dont want him on edge thinking someone else is there, I read some places that I could place some specially made stickers on the outside of the glass to give it a new look and to cut down on some reflection. I would prefer only doing that for 1-2 of the sides so we can still clearly see him and the other way around. Have you had any similar experiences or know any solutions? Thanks in advance

Good question.. Yes it is a good idea to cover the back and what I have done for both of mine is the bottom half of the sides I have covered as well I've just used the backgrounds for fish tanks on mine.. the sides I've used black..it does help with the reflections and makes them feel secure.

LilBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Good question.. Yes it is a good idea to cover the back and what I have done for both of mine is the bottom half of the sides I have covered as well I've just used the backgrounds for fish tanks on mine.. the sides I've used black..it does help with the reflections and makes them feel secure.
Alright Ill give that a go then, thanks!
Good luck with your new beardie!
thank you :)

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, welcome to BDF. The repticarpet is easy to clean when time comes to fully desanitize (i think once a month is ok, with spot cleaning in between). Its rubber backed so you can just stick it under the tap or shower. I use a steam cleaner, that works well. As was pointed out to me, its useful to have a spare carpet so you can just switch them out. I like the carpet, it works well, I just wish it came in other colours, the green is a bit meh :p

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You are on the right track with changing everything out. Don't use the red bulb during the day. Colored bulbs don't allow their pupils to constrict so they can hurt their eyes over time.

I use repticarpet and non adhesive shelf liner. I like the shelf liner because it's easy to clean. With the repti carpet, I keep extra on hand so when one is being washed I can put the other in. I spot clean daily with a product called Super Clean its from a company called Beardeddragon.co (you can buy lots of stuff you don't need there LOL) I've also just used Natures Miracle or plain vinegar and water. My repti carpet is just like a big piece of felt, it doesn't have a rubber backing so It can also just be thrown into the washer and air dried.

LilBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, welcome to BDF. The repticarpet is easy to clean when time comes to fully desanitize (i think once a month is ok, with spot cleaning in between). Its rubber backed so you can just stick it under the tap or shower. I use a steam cleaner, that works well. As was pointed out to me, its useful to have a spare carpet so you can just switch them out. I like the carpet, it works well, I just wish it came in other colours, the green is a bit meh :p
Thanks!

You are on the right track with changing everything out. Don't use the red bulb during the day. Colored bulbs don't allow their pupils to constrict so they can hurt their eyes over time.

I use repticarpet and non adhesive shelf liner. I like the shelf liner because it's easy to clean. With the repti carpet, I keep extra on hand so when one is being washed I can put the other in. I spot clean daily with a product called Super Clean its from a company called Beardeddragon.co (you can buy lots of stuff you don't need there LOL) I've also just used Natures Miracle or plain vinegar and water. My repti carpet is just like a big piece of felt, it doesn't have a rubber backing so It can also just be thrown into the washer and air dried.
Yeah hes on track to having a safer home. I also ordered the reptisun 10.0 HO 22" uvb bulb and the hood that comes from the same people for it to replace what he currently has which is a reptiglo 5.0 compact spiral one. I did this because of the big ratings it has and also because I have no idea how long the pet stores been using theirs/if it still produces proper uvb. I believe once I get the new uvb lights + repti carpet, Ill only be missing a non colored basking bulb and a light timer to make my life easier :) Also quick concern, Ive seen a lot of posts about humidity in their enclosure and most say to keep it either between 10-20% or 20-30%. Mine stays at about 10-30% during day but at night with everything off it goes to about 40-45 (Ive shruken his water bowl to try and lower it) would he be fine? Thanks

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Up to 40% is fine and you don't want to go lower than 20%. Mine get higher over night and then taper off during the day. I think we are at 40% right now. I have a small table top dehumidifier that works pretty good to help keep the humidity down. I have it sitting next to one of the tanks.