• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Owner!

Celestia Wilde

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys! I'm Celest, My roommate and I just got new baby beardies and have had them for about a week and a half. I plan on posting pictures soon, and just wanted to see if there is any advice I can get! I've read so much on them so far and on their care, we have great set ups for their tanks at the moment but I'm wondering where the best place to get food for them is, and what the most recommended would be. My mother runs a reptile rescue in Idaho and she recommended a diet of dubias and some greens for a good water source.

I know PetCo has dubias, but I don't really trust them for my pet needs. I live in Salt Lake, and I know I can order the dubias but I'm not sure I can be home to check over the deliveries. Any advice or information (on generally ANYTHING) would be great!

Thanks guys! I'm super excited to be here!

OH! Before I forget, their names are Drogon and Dovakiin :)

They are brothers and will not be housed together.

Side Note: I will also be getting an adult (6 years old) shortly and would love advice on his care as well :)

Dragnmum

Hatchling Dragon
Hey guys! I'm Celest, My roommate and I just got new baby beardies and have had them for about a week and a half. I plan on posting pictures soon, and just wanted to see if there is any advice I can get! I've read so much on them so far and on their care, we have great set ups for their tanks at the moment but I'm wondering where the best place to get food for them is, and what the most recommended would be. My mother runs a reptile rescue in Idaho and she recommended a diet of dubias and some greens for a good water source.

I know PetCo has dubias, but I don't really trust them for my pet needs. I live in Salt Lake, and I know I can order the dubias but I'm not sure I can be home to check over the deliveries. Any advice or information (on generally ANYTHING) would be great!

Side Note: I will also be getting an adult (6 years old) shortly and would love advice on his care as well :)
As far as caring for dragons, I'm new to this so I'll leave that to the pros on here :)

As far as Dubias, the chain stores rip you off. And I honestly don't trust where they come from. If you order them online you can request delivery to the post office and then you can pick them up.

Have fun! They grow FAST!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Welcome! At the bottom of my comment are some links to general care and lighting. I buy my dubia online either from one of the members here or from dubiaroaches.com. Just an FYI make sure you visit dubiaroaches.COM that is the legit site. They apparently are warning people of a copycat site.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome!! Ditto the above comments, You can also check on Craigslist in your area sometimes you can find someone there, or yea have them held at the post office..It is crazy hot all over right now.
Yea take a look at the links below to get tips on care, just remember when you bring the adult home that you isolate/quarantine them, don't share equipment and practice good hygiene between handling so you don't spread any possible issues..

Chicklet

Hatchling Dragon
I love the names you picked!! I'm raising my first dragon too. The community here is super nice and helpful.

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Congrats on your new kids! Just a few small things to add just because no one mentioned it, this stuff is probably obvious but ill say it anyways.

1. Make sure you get appropriately sized dubia. Should be smaller than the space between their eyes.
2. Since you have two babies, get a LOT of them. If you've never had the pleasure of raising a baby beardie, you'll be shocked with how much those little guys can eat. If you're ordering them online you'll have to pay shipping so you're better off getting too many and have some die on you than not enough and having to turn around and order more in a few days.
3. Make sure you gut load them and dust them to maximize their nutritional value.

Have fun!!

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
Welcome! Along with good food, lighting is paramount with these guys. Basking for babies 101-110F, I use "basking" lights. Their uvb, most ppl use the tubular type this info is in 1 of the sub forums within this forum. Greens should be: collard, mustard, dandelion and turnip greens, chopped small for the babies. Any questions just ask. Most importantly just love him/her, take them out often, lots of love and attention, look forward to watching your journey ☺

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Meganemassengill

Bearded Dragon Egg
So my son is a new owner of as he says his dragon and I have a couple questions we are getting ready to go on vacation for 3 days at what age are they okay to leave because our pet store does not do pet sitting and if we do have to leave him at home because we don't have anybody to watch him do we just put a bunch of food in there before we go or do we feed him a whole bunch before we leave and he will be okay for a few days we just want to make sure we do what's best just wondering if any one can help answer some of my questions

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So my son is a new owner of as he says his dragon and I have a couple questions we are getting ready to go on vacation for 3 days at what age are they okay to leave because our pet store does not do pet sitting and if we do have to leave him at home because we don't have anybody to watch him do we just put a bunch of food in there before we go or do we feed him a whole bunch before we leave and he will be okay for a few days we just want to make sure we do what's best just wondering if any one can help answer some of my questions
Babies need to be fed 3 times a day, so what I would do is get a bowl that the feeders can't get out of and leave enough for him to munch on when hungry. I would also some kind of veggie in there for them to eat on like a nice slice of squash providing food and moisture. put in a nice salad on the cool side. Put the lights on a timer so those come on/off normally...and I would be sure to give him a good meal and a poop before you leave. This isn't ideal for a baby however 3 days isn't bad.

Meganemassengill

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for the help! How do I no how old he is when we got him the said he was on the older side but did not give me a exact age and I was also told that the heat light stays on all the time and the uv light gets turned off is that wrong? And I thought I hade talked to a good professional at where we had purchased him to kind of help us along and now I am thinking that maybe we didn't get the best advice

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you for the help! How do I no how old he is when we got him the said he was on the older side but did not give me a exact age and I was also told that the heat light stays on all the time and the uv light gets turned off is that wrong? And I thought I hade talked to a good professional at where we had purchased him to kind of help us along and now I am thinking that maybe we didn't get the best advice

Seems to be a problem with pet stores, bad info. Trouble with a lot of them is they just want to sell you stuff. They will not sleep well with a light on, they need complete darkness when they sleep. If you dont have one, get a thermostat to control your lights and maintain the correct temps, lights off at night, use a ceramic heat lamp if its too cold in the night.
Read here for more info:
http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/threads/general-info-set-up-1st-timers.13863/
http://greathousefarm.com/Greathouse-Reptile-Nutrition-List.pdf
http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/An-In-Depth-Look-At-UV-Light-And-Its-Proper-Use-With-Reptiles/

(sorry for hijacking your thread celestia :p )

Meganemassengill

Bearded Dragon Egg
Awesome thank you and I will take all the advice that I can get my son is completely in love with this dragon and I want to make sure that we are giving it the best care we can

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you take a look at the links below some of our comments there is a section on how to get an approx age by the length.. You shouldn't have any lights on during the night time hours. If you need to bump the heat up get a CHE ceramic heating element.. Most of us use timers to control the lighting ... that is the hard thing you think your getting good advice from pet stores but typically you do not so getting and doing your research online and forming your opinion.. I searched around alot until I found this forum and Patsy helped me a ton and I quickly learned.. We all try hard to help everyone get on the right track..

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hdrydr makes a good point about timers, they are a much cheaper alternative to the thermostatic microclimate controllers. Depending on what type of enclosure you are using, if is a glass aquarium type with a mesh on the top, a normal timer would probably be more useful as the heat cant be trapped as it rises. If its the wood type viv with sliding doors on the front the MCC is better as heat gets trapped inside those and its harder to keeps temps stable. The MCC will dim the heat lamp when it gets too hot and keep temps stable even when ambient air temps are high. Choices, choices, choices :)

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon

Dubiaroaches.com for sure. It would honestly be cheaper to start your own small colony if you are up for it. They require very little care and space and since y'all have 2 little ones you will be needing A LOT - when mine was a baby he ate 30+ every day. All you need is a plastic tub, egg crates, and heat source. Feed them fruit / veggie scraps and oatmeal. Super easy, super cheap, no fuss no muss, and you don't have to worry about getting feeders in a pinch!