• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new owner

Vadenis

Bearded Dragon Egg
I recently had found a beardie outside the loading dock area of a Home Depot in northern Va. I have never the pleasure of owning one, as I'm finding out before now. Her name is Homer which I gave to her before I found out that she is a female. I measured her from nose to tail tip and came up with 18 " - 18.5". I do not have any idea of her age yet but I'm planning on taking Homer to a vet very soon. Can anyone out there recommend a good pet insurance company. I was told by a friend that a female beardie can have some costly vet bills sometimes and I don't want that to ever become an issue with Homer. She is the coolest pet/friend that I have ever had. I want her to live a happy healthy life with me and my family. I will be checking back in tomorrow. Good Night

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I personally don't know anything about pet insurance, but hopefully another member does and will chime in..
Yes females can have more potential expenses..I have a female and a male and they have been super happy/healthy..
Please post some pictures of Homer we would love to see what she looks like and her tank as that way if we see something that may help we can point it out. Kudos to you for taking her in as now she will have a good life! Glad you are taking her to the vet that way you can get a baseline on her health and see if she has any parasites that need to be taken care of.

Under several of our comments you will find links that will take you to threads that we have come up with on general care information that may be of help..and feel free to ask any questions that you may have..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
AWE, that's so sad that she was out like that. I'm glad you found her and are going to take care of her. Like Hdrydr31 said, there are some good links under our comments that will give you some help getting the proper supplies that you need to make her a good home. As far as pet insurance goes, I hear that Nationwide is a good one.

Female beardies can be more expensive than males but not always. Females can lay eggs without a male present, they are infertile but they are still eggs. There are things like being egg bound that is a concern with them. I have a 4 year old female that hasn't every had eggs and I have a 3ish female that hasn't either.

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
I have 5 females, only 1 has had eggs - 1 time. My 10 yr old had them once she got pregnant by accident, hasn't had any since then, that was about 8 yrs ago. The other 3 have never had eggs and they're 7 yrs old. Never had insurance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk