• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New here!

Rdr4evr

Hatchling Dragon
Hello from Iowa, quad cities, anyone local???
So we are picking up a bearded dragon in a few days. We already have our set up all ready for him/her. I have had bearded dragons long ago when I was in high school. Now my wife and I have 8 and 12-year-old son and daughter.
They are both super excited. Just wanted to say hello and share a picture of our set up. Any advice is always welcome!!
36x24x24

8ecdbb289e27c0ad8e1c0d1255a3f43b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome and welcome back to beardies.. Alot has changed over the years in care for these guys so you may want to take a look at the links below several of our comments as we have put together resource information for new comers..
Sand isn't recommended: impaction, holds bacteria, holds smells, gets in their eyes...
what are you using for UVB?

Anyways take a look at the links and ask whatever..

Rdr4evr

Hatchling Dragon
We are getting a little older dragon, not a baby, fell in love with one at my friends store... I had been told, and researched that the reptilite sand was ok for a bit older dragon???
Here is my sand and lights??
Thoughts, also have a ceramic heat bulb

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The T8 UVB may not penetrate down far enough to get to your dragon keep that in mind.. T5 bulbs penetrate much farther down and thru mesh tops.
The Calcisand isn't great as even an adult licks their environment all the time as that's how they form memories, and they ingest more calcium (basically tons of tums crushed up) and that can really cause some calcium issues...I'm no expert however I know too much isn't good either..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Your SolarGloprovides your UVB and your basking heat so you don't really need the tube UVB. Most of us use tube bulbs and a seperate basking light. It just provides more coverage.

If you are using that high of a wattage on your SolarGlo, make sure you get a dimmer for it so it doesn't get too hot.

Rdr4evr

Hatchling Dragon
I don't think it will be too hot, I got, what I think, to be a too tall habitat, it's 24 inches high, wish I would have gotten the 18 inch high,
U all think I have enough UV?
I want "no mistakes" here!!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It wouldn't hurt to use the two together as long as you provide places for the dragon to hide from the "sun" when it needs to. The 5.0 UVB tube though, isn't going to penetrate deep enough in the tank. I would switch it for a 10.0.

24" is high but hey also like the vertical space too. Get climbing things, ramps, hammocks, bridges, anything to utiize that space.

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I used sand for years and my beardie never had any problems because of it. BUT many people do have problems from it. You don't want a sick beardie and you don't want the vet bills either. I switched to paper towels and its a much better option. Makes it very very easy to keep clean, and in my case it completely eliminated the "reptile" odor I had when using sand. It just absorbs and harbors so much bacteria. Plus if i remember correctly the reptile sand is the stuff thats super fine and gets all over everything, including your bearded dragon. It just becomes a pain.

Good luck and have fun with your new kiddo :)

Rdr4evr

Hatchling Dragon
I would love to see pictures on how you do the paper towels

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I literally just lay paper towels or newspaper down flat to cover the bottom of the tank. When they "potty" its super easy to just remove them, throw them out, sanitize, and lay new ones down.

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Here's what mine looks like right now. Picture turned out kinda dark. (she's been brumating for like 6-8 weeks right now so that's why it's so empty right now)

Attachments

• IMG_1245.JPG
    IMG_1245.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 13

Rdr4evr

Hatchling Dragon
Sounds like I will be taking the sand out, I just hate to do that because it looks so nice with the sand in there

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I use ceramic tiles on both of mine works great for clean up..

Rdr4evr

Hatchling Dragon
Going with carpet for the time being, never know in the future...