• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New enclosure, lighting question.

Marila123

Hatchling Dragon
Hi all! This is our beardies new enclosure. The dimensions are 36 in length x 18 w x 16 h. We just moved him today. The basking lamp is 100w. We have a 24 inch reptisun 10.0 which holds a 22 inch bulb. If I get the 36 inch reptisun the light is 34 inch long and will overlap on top of the tank sides. should I still get the 36 inch or is this one big enough? I am afraid the light will touch the metal. I am including a picture of the set up. Sorry, It's still not done we only moved him today looking for more fun stuff for him by the basking side.

Attachments

• IMG_9877.JPG
    IMG_9877.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_9876.JPG
    IMG_9876.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 52

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The UVB light you have is a good length. The 36 would work too. I have a 36" long tank and the 36" light and provide lots of places for mine to get away from the light when they need to. 100watts for the basking light might be too much though if your tank is only 16" high. I would monitor the temps with a temp gun to see how hot it is getting. My tank is 18" high and I use a 50-75watt depending on the time of the year.

Marila123

Hatchling Dragon
The UVB light you have is a good length. The 36 would work too. I have a 36" long tank and the 36" light and provide lots of places for mine to get away from the light when they need to. 100watts for the basking light might be too much though if your tank is only 16" high. I would monitor the temps with a temp gun to see how hot it is getting. My tank is 18" high and I use a 50-75watt depending on the time of the year.

Hi patsy, thanks for your response! The room that he is in is around 70-73 during the day. In the evening and night it falls from 69-64 degrees. His basking area is around 95-100. He is around 7 months old. I purchased the temp gun you recommended a while ago. His warm area is around 82-85 and coolest side 79-81. It varies depending how warm the room is. We are In NYC so it's still cold here.

You said you use 50-75. Is your light on top of mesh or inside? Mine sits on top. I was using 50-75 for a 20 gallon 12 inch high tank and his area was around 102-105. But he was younger.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I need to not type until the coffee completely kicks in LOL!

It sounds like your temps are good then. In my brain this morning, thinking of the basking platform and how close he would be to the light, it sounds like it would get too warm with a 100watt. But you are measuring it and the temps seem good.

My dragons are about 14-15 inches away from their basking light and it's 98-100 degrees. We are using the 75 watt and it sits on top of the mesh. They are older so I like a low basking perch so they don't fall and hurt them self.

Marila123

Hatchling Dragon
I need to not type until the coffee completely kicks in LOL!

It sounds like your temps are good then. In my brain this morning, thinking of the basking platform and how close he would be to the light, it sounds like it would get too warm with a 100watt. But you are measuring it and the temps seem good.

My dragons are about 14-15 inches away from their basking light and it's 98-100 degrees. We are using the 75 watt and it sits on top of the mesh. They are older so I like a low basking perch so they don't fall and hurt them self.

Lol thank you!! I'll keep measuring, we only switched him yesterday.
He did this yesterday, I'm guessing this is a good sign?

Attachments

• IMG_9884.JPG
    IMG_9884.JPG
    939.7 KB · Views: 45