• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New dragon owner! Help wanted!

Cyberman

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi guys! I have unexpectedly found myself in a position as caregiver to a bearded dragon. I found this little guy abandoned standing in the middle of the road. From the looks of things he's been on his own for a while. He's malnourished and was cold when I found him but he didn't act afraid when I picked him up and brought him home. I have little to no knowledge on lizard care so any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone :)

HerpPrincess

Bearded Dragon Egg
Most important things are a basking spot of 105 degrees. A uvb tube that spans 2/3 of the enclosure, at least 10% UVB. Ideally the minimum enclosure size is 4x2x2 but a 40 gallon breeder will do in the meantime. Lights should on for 12 hours and off for 12. No heat or light required at night.

Avoid loose substrate.

Try dubia roaches and waxworms as feeder insects. Should put weight on him quite quickly.

If you have any other specific questions, please ask away. The

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cyberman

Bearded Dragon Egg
For the next day or two his living conditions are less than ideal. All I had when I found him was a 10 gallon tank and in using a clamp on desk lamp as a heat source. Best I could do on a Sunday with all the shops closed. I've got a 90 gallon on the way and will be visiting the pet store tomorrow after work for supplies.

HerpPrincess

Bearded Dragon Egg
For the next day or two his living conditions are less than ideal. All I had when I found him was a 10 gallon tank and in using a clamp on desk lamp as a heat source. Best I could do on a Sunday with all the shops closed. I've got a 90 gallon on the way and will be visiting the pet store tomorrow after work for supplies.

Anything is better than nothing! Good job.

I would avoid feeding him much until you can be sure he has temps high enough to facilitate digestion. That's where the 100 degree basking spot comes in. It will need to measured with a temp gun or a thermometer that has a probe that can be placed on the basking spot.

Cyberman

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've read things on both sides of the substrate fence. Why not loose?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

HerpPrincess

Bearded Dragon Egg
It harbours bacteria and can cause eye/lung issues and impaction.

With perfect husbandry, it can be done safely but for a new keeper and a dragon with unknown history, it's far too risky.

Something like tile or reptile carpet would be your best bet.

Cyberman

Bearded Dragon Egg
It harbours bacteria and can cause eye/lung issues and impaction.

With perfect husbandry, it can be done safely but for a new keeper and a dragon with unknown history, it's far too risky.

Something like tile or reptile carpet would be your best bet.

Good enough for me. Thanks alot you've been a big help.

HerpPrincess

Bearded Dragon Egg
No problem. Feel free to contact me anytime with questions.

I wish you, and your new dragon friend, the very best of luck.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Glad you took this one in... if it's malnourished you want to go slowly on feeding lots of protein as it can overwhelm it's system and will be hard to digest.. Get your new friend well hydrated first and slowly add in dubia..
would love a picture, likely got free from someone while they had them outside..

Under several of our comments (if using taptalk the links don't show..) you will find links to threads in the general care section at the top and we've put together a ton of info on all areas of their care that will answer any questions..

Cyberman

Bearded Dragon Egg
Glad you took this one in... if it's malnourished you want to go slowly on feeding lots of protein as it can overwhelm it's system and will be hard to digest.. Get your new friend well hydrated first and slowly add in dubia..
would love a picture, likely got free from someone while they had them outside..

Under several of our comments (if using taptalk the links don't show..) you will find links to threads in the general care section at the top and we've put together a ton of info on all areas of their care that will answer any questions..
Thanks. I went door to door to pretty much all the houses around asking If he was missing. You find out pretty quickly there isn't a good way to knock on a strangers door and ask if they lost a lizard without seeming off.

MooshiChi

Hatchling Dragon
Loose substrate is completely fine if husbandry is on point!!

HerpPrincess

Bearded Dragon Egg
Loose substrate is completely fine if husbandry is on point!!

This is a dragon that has been found on a road and an owner that has never kept them.

Please don't push loose substrate, it's very irresponsible.

I did already state that it can be done safely by experienced keepers.

MooshiChi

Hatchling Dragon
This is a dragon that has been found on a road and an owner that has never kept them.

Please don't push loose substrate, it's very irresponsible.

I did already state that it can be done safely by experienced keepers.

Excuse me? Hahahaha it is not irresponsible considering I said if husbandry was [emoji817] on point. Now go try patronise someone else.

HerpPrincess

Bearded Dragon Egg
Excuse me? Hahahaha it is not irresponsible considering I said if husbandry was [emoji817] on point. Now go try patronise someone else.

Loose substrate should really never be recommended to another keeper.

It is something that should be carefully researched and considered by the individual. As a member of an Internet forum, you have no idea what their husbandry is like or what their dragon is like. You could sentence a dragon to death by by making statements like that.

Everyone thinks their husbandry is correct wether it is or it isn't. If it isn't right and they pour bags of sand into the viv, their pet becomes a time bomb.

I agree that loose substrate has its place. I use it for one of my adults but it's place is not in flippant comments on the internet.

Cyberman

Bearded Dragon Egg
Loose substrate should really never be recommended to another keeper.

It is something that should be carefully researched and considered by the individual. As a member of an Internet forum, you have no idea what their husbandry is like or what their dragon is like. You could sentence a dragon to death by by making statements like that.

Everyone thinks their husbandry is correct wether it is or it isn't. If it isn't right and they pour bags of sand into the viv, their pet becomes a time bomb.

I agree that loose substrate has its place. I use it for one of my adults but it's place is not in flippant comments on the internet.

Glad to report that my dragon has eaten for the first time today. He won't touch insects but he seems to like vegies. I got him to eat a little kale. I think this is the first time I've seen his mouth open at all.

HerpPrincess

Bearded Dragon Egg
Glad to report that my dragon has eaten for the first time today. He won't touch insects but he seems to like vegies. I got him to eat a little kale. I think this is the first time I've seen his mouth open at all.

Fantastic news!

Does he turn down bugs when offered or does he just not want to chase them?

Cyberman

Bearded Dragon Egg
Fantastic news!

Does he turn down bugs when offered or does he just not want to chase them?

He just doesn't bother with them. They hop all over him and he just ignores em. He just now "went" as well.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok lets just move on everyone: Yes we recommend no loose substrate in general.. Yes you are able to use sand with Adults that are well hydrated and well maintained, is it preferred? Not really, Do some do just fine on it? Yes, However yes your husbandry needs to be spot on...
Enough said on that point..

Cyberman: Super glad that you got your dragon to eat some greens...I would however recommend trying some Collard, mustard, turnip or dandelion greens in place of Kale.. Kale is ok to be fed as long as it's not the only green being eaten/offered, it is high in Vit A.

I think given him/her time and a stable home, good lighting, good temps things will pick up more with him.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi and welcome. It does sound like he was abandoned rather than lost, so its no small thing you are doing by taking him in and making him well, I can only applaud you. There is a lot of stuff to learn, but beardies are easy to keep happy once they have the things they need. Yours will find its appetite again once he is settled im sure, just keep trying different greens and veggies. If he continues to ignore the hoppers you might want to try different insects. Good luck