• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New beardie not eating much

AllyM

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone!

I got my first ever beardie yesterday morning. I think his tank setup is pretty decent, and temps are good. I'm just worried because he hasn't eaten much, maybe 8-10 small dubia and a couple superworms. He didn't touch the crickets I gave him. He hasn't touched his salad or pellets either but I wasn't surprised about that.

I've heard about relocation stress, in your guys experience, how long did it last? I've also been moving him into a plastic tub lined with paper towels to feed (I'm going to get something better this week), do you think that could be causing more stress? The tank he's currently in has one of those styrofoam backgrounds and places for the bugs to hide so I'm reluctant to feed him in there. I already had one try to hide under the reptile carpet.

He did poop today and seemed to enjoy his bath last night.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
For day one, that's a pretty good amount of food. His appetite should pick up after a few days and in a week or two he should be settled in completely.

If you like to let the bugs run around so he can catch them, a feeding container works well. I tong feed in the enclosure so I know exactly what my beardies eat, don't leave any bugs behind, and know when their appetites increase or decrease. One of my boys eats out of a ceramic bowl, since he seems to prefer that to tong feeding.

Personally, I'd toss the pellets. Processed food is as bad for beardies as it is for us. It's best to stick with live bugs and fresh greens.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

AllyM

Bearded Dragon Egg
For day one, that's a pretty good amount of food. His appetite should pick up after a few days and in a week or two he should be settled in completely.

If you like to let the bugs run around so he can catch them, a feeding container works well. I tong feed in the enclosure so I know exactly what my beardies eat, don't leave any bugs behind, and know when their appetites increase or decrease. One of my boys eats out of a ceramic bowl, since he seems to prefer that to tong feeding.

Personally, I'd toss the pellets. Processed food is as bad for beardies as it is for us. It's best to stick with live bugs and fresh greens.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. His appetite is slowly but surely picking up. I haven't offered him the pellets again. I threw all the crickets outside too, he prefers the dubia and I hate when the crickets jump all over anyway haha.