• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new baby bearded dragon not eating HELP!

yokairis

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi so i just got a baby beardie on sunday at the reptile expo and s/he beautiful ! s/he about 6 weeks and its been two days now and the baby has not been eating at all i try hand feeding the greens and she ate a couple of pieces and that was it. i tried feeding her crickets with only 5 and she did not eat them. I put her in a separate place to eat the crickets and she seems to run away from them i am not sure is because she is stress that i put her in a separate tank to feed her crickets or is because she scared of them. She poop this morning is that a good sign? i left the greens inside the tank but i am not sure if she ate or not. I will order phoenix worms tomorrow to see if she eats those but i am not sure if i should buy the small or extra small? PLEASE HELP :( is it just relocation stress? here is pics of the baby i also think s/he is skinny or is s/he normal?

Attachments

• IMG_0085.JPG
    IMG_0085.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 767
  • IMG_0087.JPG
    IMG_0087.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 750
  • IMG_0089.JPG
    IMG_0089.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 737

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Most beardies need time to acclimate to there enclosure. Which can very from beardie to beardie.

What is your enclosure setup like?
Basking temps?
Cool side temps?
Humidity levels?
UVB source?

yokairis

Bearded Dragon Egg
i have an 18x18x18 exo terra because i read that they will become very stress if i buy a big tank at first so thats just for now.
basking temps - 95 - 100
cool side 75-80
humidity about 40
uvb i got a 26w uvb 150 from exo terra and today i am getting a uvb 200 25w and put them together

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
i have an 18x18x18 exo terra because i read that they will become very stress if i buy a big tank at first so thats just for now.
basking temps - 95 - 100
cool side 75-80
humidity about 40
uvb i got a 26w uvb 150 from exo terra and today i am getting a uvb 200 25w and put them together

Temp for his age should be on the higher end more 110 same with cool side about 80-85. So your not bad there. Your humidity needs to come down. Should be around 20%.

I'm assuming your using the spiral UVB bulbs. If so please ditch them and us the reptisun 10.0 tube style like this one.
uploadfromtaptalk1392149090777.jpg

Also how do u measure your temps? Do u have a digital prob thermometer right on basking sight?

yokairis

Bearded Dragon Egg
yes i have the spirals and i use the themometer that came with the exo terra which are the sticky ones, i already order two digital thermometers with probe the should be here within three days, i will buy the reptisun 10.0 thanks a lot !

yokairis

Bearded Dragon Egg
i also notice that when the temps gets more into the 100s she starts opening her mouth is that normal?

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Np. You'll be surprised how much your readings r going to change. When u get the prob ones put it right in basking area to get best readings. And leave it there.

As for your beardie not eating. Mine for instance ate the very first night. Than wouldn't eat for almost 4 days. Main thing is to make sure you keep the little one hydrated. Drip water on his nose and let it lick it up.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yes it is normal. What it is doing is regulating it's temperature.

So when you get your new prob t state let us know the readings. The prob gonna be a lot different than the gauges tell u

aiden1024

Hatchling Dragon
Cute Dragon
What are you using as a substrate?
The beardie is stressed from the move. Offer food daily
Whoever told you that the beardie will get stressed from a bigger enclosure is insane. .. my Dragon has been in a 40 gallon breeder since it was a little one
Just feed in a smaller tank

yokairis

Bearded Dragon Egg
thank you ! I have repti carpet. he seems pretty active in his tank he just doesnt want to eat the crickets. he pooped yesterday is that a good sign that he possibly ate the greens that i left in his tank?

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
My beardie is a little dehydrated please help

Couple reads on it. Basically based give your beardie water via dropper in tip of its nose and lit him/her lick it up.

Why do you suspect dehydration?

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Dehydration.html

Dehydration
Keeping your bearded dragon properly hydrated is important for their health. If you suspect your bearded dragon is ill, then hydration becomes even more important.

The following are signs of dehydration:

Sunken eyesYour dragon perks up after drinkingWrinkled skinLack of appetite

One way you can test to see if your bearded dragon is dehydrated is by gently pinching their skin with your fingers (where the skin is generally lose). If the skin holds its shape after you let go for a few moments (instead of immediately going back to place) then your bearded dragon is most likely dehydrated.

If you suspect your bearded dragon is dehydrated then you need to try to coax them into drinking water, Pedialyte, or sports drinks like Powerade (diluted 1:1 in water). You should try to get them to drink first by giving them fresh water, but if that doesn't work you can try using an eye dropper or a small syringe without the needle.

Source: http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bearded-dragon-health.php#ixzz2tIiYMN1L

yokairis

Bearded Dragon Egg
okay so my baby started eating the worms today !! i order some phoenix worms from reptiworms cus they were a lott cheaper than phoenixworms.com lol but i couldnt resist watching my baby not eating so i stopped at petco and bought a little container of calci worms and my baby just pounce on them !!! yay im so happy !

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the BD community.

Some good links that you may find useful ...
Basic Bearded Dragon Care Guide - A Place To Start
UVB Setup
Temp Guns
Is Bearded Dragon Cohabitation A Good Plan?
Bearded Dragon - Exclusive Care Info Library
What's Good & Not So Good To Feed - Beautiful Dragon's Nutrition Guide
How to Sex a Bearded Dragon

Whoever told you that the beardie will get stressed from a bigger enclosure is insane. .. my Dragon has been in a 40 gallon breeder since it was a little one
I totally agree, the only reason that a bigger enclosure would pose issues is when keepers clutter it with junk. Furnished with the basics & there will be no issues. An 18x18x18 will have to be replaced in a couple of months. That's an abnormal size, is it a glass enclosure or screened sides?