• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need help with Enclosure

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello everyone,
I currently have a 36" x 18" x 18" glass enclosure for my beardie. Hes approx. 3-4 months old. I know this size is fine for him but i would like to upgrade him to a 48" x 24" x 24" enclosure. I would like to have a wood enclosure for him as this retains heat. The issue that I'm encountering is that most of the wood or melamine cages have fixtures on the inside. I have all the fixtures and light equipment that sits on top of screen. Is it possible to get a wood or melamine enclosure that just has the sides, back and bottom pieces and i can make a custom screen to put on? I am not sure if anyone else has done this before but if so, can you please share some tips or advice. Thank you so much.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
most of the wooden enclosures are designed to have the lights mounted on the inside. It is fairly easy though to cut holes and add a screen to the top, you can buy the screen on ebay/amazon.

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks. Ill have a look on ebay/amazon. Hopefully there is one for a 48" x 24". Also, just wondering would be okay to have some parts of it screen and others open? I don't have any other pets in the house besides him.

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Also, i have suction cups for my temperature/humidity gauges how would that adhere to the melamine or wood enclosures?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Also, i have suction cups for my temperature/humidity gauges how would that adhere to the melamine or wood enclosures?
The 3M hooks work really well and the double sided foam adhesive you can pull it down to take it off to change things up.

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah for my current glass terrarium it works fine as long as its not directly under heat lamp lol i tried to experiment on my wood cabinets and hold about a few seconds and then pop came right off. I will try the 3M stuff and see how that goes just wanted to figure out all this before getting another enclosure. What do you guys have has enclosures? Glass or Wood/Melamine? Other?

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I have 4x2x2 melamine vivs, really spacious, I like em but they are the only ones Im familiar with really. The adhesive type hooks didnt work for me, the combination of heat and being pulled at an angle made them fall off. In the end I just used little screw in utility hooks, they will never come off.

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok ill have to try different things and see which works haha Is it true that melamine's retains heat better than glass terrariums?

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yes absolutely, glass' reflectivity and heat retention is almost zero. Wood is a much better insuator so different measures are needed to keep temperatures stable. Vents and air movement are important but dimmers are used to regulate the output of the basking lamp. I went all out and bought these snazzy touch screen computer controlled units (EVO microclimate controllers), they take most of the guesswork out.

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Oh wow... you were not joking about that :eek:
They do look cool and would look great in enclosure but at the time cannot afford that much :(
Hmm, is there something else that would work similar to this but not as pricey?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah for my current glass terrarium it works fine as long as its not directly under heat lamp lol i tried to experiment on my wood cabinets and hold about a few seconds and then pop came right off. I will try the 3M stuff and see how that goes just wanted to figure out all this before getting another enclosure. What do you guys have has enclosures? Glass or Wood/Melamine? Other?
I have 2 40G breeders

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member

I checked it out but unfortunately i do not live in the UK lol do you know a good US brand? I typed in google for search "reptile temperature controller" couple things popped up.

https://www.chewy.com/zilla-terrari...njVWJrIxI_Z9qr654xBoCaBkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015FKG4C...t=&hvlocphy=9031787&hvtargid=pla-326308171578

I have never worked with these type of units before but they seem pretty cool.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
hi, neither of those, they would work with a CHE or a heater, they are just on/off when they reach a set temperature. For the basking lamp you need one that dims. Try adding 'dimming' to your search

Reptilelady86

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Would these ones work? Just trying to find one that isnt too expensive but will do the job.
http://www.joshsfrogs.com/catalog/blog/2013/02/choosing-a-vivarium-electronics-thermostat/

Hmm, i am wondering if my local hardware store will have something like this too. It doesnt have to say reptile but as long as it functions the same. Just need one with a dimmer for the CHE and basking lamp is that correct rather than if it gets hot or warm inside the closure than it will just turn everything off.