• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need help with a good diet

tokentheblackkid

Bearded Dragon Egg
Long story short I was told by petsmart, petco, and others that I should have a mixed insect diet. He's 8 months old and I'm feeding him crickets, mealworms and sometimes Dubai roaches. Does anybody have any other insects I should add to his diet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Long story short I was told by petsmart, petco, and others that I should have a mixed insect diet. He's 8 months old and I'm feeding him crickets, mealworms and sometimes Dubai roaches. Does anybody have any other insects I should add to his diet?

Dubia, crickets, superworms, phoenix worms, silkworms, hornworms are all great staple items waxworms, butterworms are good treat items.

tokentheblackkid

Bearded Dragon Egg
Dubia, crickets, superworms, phoenix worms, silkworms, hornworms are all great staple items waxworms, butterworms are good treat items.

Thank you so much, I searched online but found tons of answers, but I figured I would ask you guys on here... [emoji106]

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much, I searched online but found tons of answers, but I figured I would ask you guys on here... [emoji106]

Your welcome, something I forgot to mention is that mealworms contain chitlin in their shells making them hard to digest, and they need to be really hydrated to keep them from becoming impacted while eating them.. Adults have an easier time with them but their overall body condition is typically better than of the young ones.. Supers would be better as they are much softer bodied.

tokentheblackkid

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your welcome, something I forgot to mention is that mealworms contain chitlin in their shells making them hard to digest, and they need to be really hydrated to keep them from becoming impacted while eating them.. Adults have an easier time with them but their overall body condition is typically better than of the young ones.. Supers would be better as they are much softer bodied.

Ok, that would explain my why I started seeing undigested mealworms in his poop, I'll definitely stick with super worms then.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, that would explain my why I started seeing undigested mealworms in his poop, I'll definitely stick with super worms then.

Just know that supers are also high in fat so keep a variety of feeders is advised.