• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

my beardie doesnt like greens

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
so i feed my beardie greens daily and he just doesnt eat that much of them. i feed him a handfull and he eats either a quarter or half of it? any suggestions on what to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Don't worry too much this is very typical. A lot of dragons just do not like greens. It's good that your baby is at least eating some.

You can try putting insects in his salad to see if this will encourage him to eat more. You can also try putting the salad in his Viv first thing in the morning and waiting awhile before offering insects. Sometimes they become hungry enough to settle for the greens.

It's important to gut load his insects with the greens you would like him to eat more of. On top of this just keep offering the salad everyday and hopefully he will eventually come around.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
Don't worry too much this is very typical. A lot of dragons just do not like greens. It's good that your baby is at least eating some.

You can try putting insects in his salad to see if this will encourage him to eat more. You can also try putting the salad in his Viv first thing in the morning and waiting awhile before offering insects. Sometimes they become hungry enough to settle for the greens.

It's important to gut load his insects with the greens you would like him to eat more of. On top of this just keep offering the salad everyday and hopefully he will eventually come around.

any suggestions on what greens to feed him? ive been feeding him only kale but i cant find dandelion greens anywhere. all the stores around me have stopped selling it.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Collard greens, mustard greens, and turnip greens are really good staples. Adding a little butternut squash will also add color to the salad and may spark his interest

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
Collard greens, mustard greens, and turnip greens are really good staples. Adding a little butternut squash will also add color to the salad and may spark his interest

alright! when i run out of kale thats what ill get. ill see if my tortoise can eat those aswell, will make things much easier.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Most definitely. Kale is not the best staple for dragons due to vitamin A levels. However mixing it with other greens and even offering it by itself once in awhile will not hurt anything

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
As long as he's eating some greens he's okay. My oldest girl won't eat any on her own, I have to trick her into eating them when she's chewing on a bug LOL!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Butternut squash is great. My girl Dolly usually loves that one when she's not brumating. I discovered it's partly because she likes the color orange.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
That is awesome! I'm so glad to hear he has discovered some healthy foods he likes :)