• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My baby dragon won't eat!!!

LCfrogs

Hatchling Dragon
She was eating. But yesterday she didn't want to eat anything. This morning I tried to hand feed her a dusted cricket. She had no interest. Please help! What should I do?

Do they lose their appetite when they're about to shed, like snakes?

Do they get bored of food? She won't eat veggies or fruit so I've been gut loading the crickets, which she was eating until yesterday. I have red worms, should I try that? Thanks!

LCfrogs

Hatchling Dragon
Update: I tore a red worm in half and tried hand feeding it to her. She licked it but didn't have any interest in eating it. I'm going to post pics of what she looks like right now so you all can tell me if she's getting ready to shed.

Another thing- her tank is only a 10 gallon which I know isn't big enough, but I can't afford to buy a bigger one until my next pay check. I have temporarily turned off the basking light so she gets a cool spot. I was thinking to just turn it on and off throughout the day, each day, until I can buy at least a 20 gallon.

She also hasn't pooped or urinated since I got her 3 days ago. I'm really worried. From what I can tell, she appears healthy, her belly is round and wide.

LCfrogs

Hatchling Dragon
Okay so here are pics. Is she getting ready to shed?

Attachments

• 20170614_094924.jpg
    20170614_094924.jpg
    476.5 KB · Views: 389
  • 20170614_095009.jpg
    20170614_095009.jpg
    468.4 KB · Views: 381
  • 20170614_094859.jpg
    20170614_094859.jpg
    588.2 KB · Views: 391

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would put a lower wattage bulb in there she needs the heat, as long as you watch the temps in there and she has a spot she can go and hide under she should be ok.. they need the heat and UVB on a reg time basis..

LCfrogs

Hatchling Dragon
I would put a lower wattage bulb in there she needs the heat, as long as you watch the temps in there and she has a spot she can go and hide under she should be ok.. they need the heat and UVB on a reg time basis..

She has a log house but it's just the tank is too small. She's basking right now though. Do you know why she's not eating though? And does she look like she's getting ready to shed?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yea looks like she is getting ready to shed, sometimes they do slow up.. however normally not a baby they are eating machines.. try some different bugs

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Mine got fed up of crickets really fast, so I got them some small dubias. They munch them up like candy, but they can be a bit expensive. They are a great staple though and mine find them irresistable.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
They do go through a settling in phase where they get used to their new home. They may be fine when you first get them home but then realize "woo, I'm not leaving here what's going on" and they get a little scared and guarded while they settle in. Try covering three sides of her tank and limit handling. Talk to her all the time in a soothing voice so she knows you. This usually takes a few weeks.

I recently sat for a friend's dragon. She told me she wouldn't eat her salad or poop for me so don't worry. Within minutes of being in her temp tank she ate a whole salad and pooped! By the 3rd day she wasn't having any of it and wouldn't even eat bugs. She did eat a little here and there but she was so much better once her momma came home.

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yep- mine has certainly been known not to eat when I'm gone and i ask someone else to come by to feed her. They're smart and know the difference between people. some of them really want to get to know you before they'll eat what you give them it seems.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My neighbor says the same when I am gone - she also says they don't move. I know better than that. but - I miss them, too

LCfrogs

Hatchling Dragon
20170626_154756.jpg
Update-
She eats A LOT now. A little less than 40 crickets a day. I also have been feeding her mustard greens and baby spinach in the afternoon, every day. She eats some of it but not all, and unlike crickets, she won't eat the veggies if I'm around. She wants to eat in private lol.

It's been two weeks now since I got her. I can tell we are bonding. I handle her a ton. I tuck her into bed at night too lol. She's grown 1 3/4 inches since I got her. She also looks way healthier. I think she was malnourished when I got her.
20170623_152224.jpg
20170624_210343.jpg
20170623_152224.jpg
20170624_210343.jpg

Attachments

• 20170625_222726.jpg
    693.2 KB · Views: 11

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Awe she is looking cute!! I would avoid feeding spinach as thats a rarely to be fed item as it's very high in vit A I would feed some collards instead as that is a great staple green..