• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mite problem & Lethargy

SpikeyTheDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello all,

My Bearded Dragon is 4 months old and around 11/12" and weighs 90g and when I got him the vet I went to to do a check up to make sure everything with him is okay realised he has mites and told me to get a mite spray. The mite situation was quite bad with over 30 mites visible on his body on his neck, chest, arms, legs, base of his tail, etc.

Now I have tried everything to get rid of them. Used the mite spray, It's a pest control spray of Trixie as that is what the reptile shop had, used vaseline, baths every 2 days, surgical spirit (The vet suggested I do that) but nothing has worked and the mites have just increased as a week ago I saw like 20 new ones on his upper chest ( Small red dots ). I have removed all the decor items and just have white paper towels as substrate and a few boxes so he can climb on them to bask which I replace every 2/3 days so the mites cannot lay eggs anywhere and let them hatch.

I went to another vet clinic to get a second opinion and the vet suggested I give a dose of Ivermectin via an injection which I agreed to as I did not know the risk it possessed until after but the dosage the vet gave was very small and she even stayed calculating the dosage to make sure she does not give an overdose. This was 4 days ago.

Spikey is acting very lethargic, ever since I got him he never was extremely active except when I put him outside in my balcony in direct sunlight. I feed him mealworms, I know there are better options and plan on getting calciworms soon, and try to feed him some greens, but he never eats them, every day. He has a reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb that spans 3/4 of his viv ( it is a 40gal tank ) and a 100w basking bulb. Temperatures are fine.

His back recently turned white and his right arm, which I assume is him shedding but not too sure.

My question is am I just being paranoid or is something wrong? The Ivermectin has not seemed to affect him much as he still eats 20-25 mealworms a day and poos every 2 days too but he sleeps a lot during the day and if I do not put him on his basking spot half the time he just stays laying down were he slept the whole day and even after he eats he rarely goes to bask. Will the Ivermectin work or should I not go back to the vet for the second dosage and keep trying the less risky methods to get rid of the mites?

Sorry if my post is a bit lengthy but would really appreciate any feedback.

If you have any further information that you need just ask and I shall provide.

Thanks so much!.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Mites are tough to get rid of. There are lots of steps you need to take with the tank in order to eliminate them. There is a great arrival at www.anapsid.org/mites.html that tells how to get rid of them.

SpikeyTheDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
I know about that website and I have done all those steps yet nothing has worked and I started treating for mites a month ago. I removed all the decor items and just have white paper towel as substrate and a few boxes. I have used mite spray on the vivarium to remove all mites from the tank. I said so in my above post. Ever single time I have bathed my bearded dragon not one mite has come off.