• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Meet Rey!

Galapoodle

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all, I have been reading this forum for about a year and a half and decided to finally chime in.

With my partner I share a beautiful female beardie named Rey (the Force is strong with this young heroine).

We adopted her from Petsmart on Dec 27th 2015. We estimate that she is currently around or almost 2 years old.

We didn't know it when we got her (first timers), but she was already sick with a respiratory infection. She hid it well, being of a very hearty constitution, but her slow and steady decline became obvious. I must recommend everyone get a baseline blood test and fecal for their new beardie to ensure it is well from the start, it will save you the cost of more vet visits in the long run. Lesson learned. I plan to tell her whole RI story at some point on the forum to help those whose beardies get sick in the future. So many sad stories I read, gladly ours ends well.

We (with the help of a fantastic vet at Capitol Hill Animal Hospital in Burnaby BC Canada) were able to nurse her back to health and get her back on food again. It took many months of close care beyond when she was on antibiotics (coupled with probiotics) to get her back to her old self. She is now a healthy, very active, happy dragon who eats her veggies everyday and has stabilized her weight. She still habitually gapes her mouth (not basking/heat related), so we keep a close eye on her health and behavior as the gaping makes her more susceptible to infection in future.

I think she is a type of 'hypo' because of her clear nails and general lightness of colour/pigment. Her dominant colouring is orange/bronze although her new shed has a dash of red in it (currently shedding on legs/feet, head/beard and tail).

She is my little princess (at 19+ inches and 620g). Thanks to everyone who has shared stories, advice and questions as it has been invaluable for us in this first 1.5 years with Rey.

I regularly read aloud to her so she knows my voice and so we could bond (I wasn't living with her until mid Feb this year). We are currently on Game of Thrones: A Feast for Crows (she loves the DRAGONS). Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter someday. :)

Rey is my little drop of golden sun. I plan on giving her the best life, she has made mine so happy.
IMG_5524.JPG

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She is stunning!! Glad to hear that she has a wonderful home with you all.. It is hard when starting out especially if you don't have good info to start on..
I love her colors and yep if no black on the nails that's hypo.. I would say looks like she is in need of a nail trim..
Glad to have you joining in on the conversations.

Galapoodle

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks! That's actually kinda an old picture. Her nails are up soon for a trim again methinks. I do tend to be a little conservative how far I trim them though, I've never hit the wick but make sure I get the razor sharp tips. It's such a delicate proccess. I'd love some tips, sometimes I find it difficult to see how far to trim, despite her clear nails. I'd love some advice or a photo to compare by.

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
Welcome to posting on the forum! I'm always happy when I read that a beardie mom/dad cares so much for their reptibaby. I think your sharing of the ups and downs of her journey would be very helpful. Look forward to more pics and updates.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks! That's actually kinda an old picture. Her nails are up soon for a trim again methinks. I do tend to be a little conservative how far I trim them though, I've never hit the wick but make sure I get the razor sharp tips. It's such a delicate proccess. I'd love some tips, sometimes I find it difficult to see how far to trim, despite her clear nails. I'd love some advice or a photo to compare by.
I trim mine when they are asleep for the night.. I put them on the counter and cover them up and just expose a foot at a time lol I only take off the hook tip..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I have a hypo and I do find it hard to clip her nails even though they are clear. I don't know if it's he way the light hits them or what. I clip them right after a bath when they are mostly relaxed and just cut that very sharp tip off.