• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mealworms?

LCfrogs

Hatchling Dragon
Are mealworms safe to feed to a bearded dragon. I have a bunch of meal worms because I also have seven fire belly toads that love them as a treat. I actually did try to feed my baby dragon mealworms, but she wasn't interested and didn't eat any. I'm afraid to feed her any other kind of worm just yet since she's so tiny. She LOVES and will only eat crickets, so I've been gut loading them with veggies, because she won't eat the veggies herself. Anyway, back to my original question, are mealworms safe? At work they feed the dragons mealworms when we're low or out of small crickets. Some of the dragons practically pounce on them, other dragons ignore them. I've just read on some posts that mealworms are bad. So I'm just wondering. Also, I have red wigglers too. Can bearded dragons eat those, if I tore them up into small pieces for her?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Are mealworms safe to feed to a bearded dragon. I have a bunch of meal worms because I also have seven fire belly toads that love them as a treat. I actually did try to feed my baby dragon mealworms, but she wasn't interested and didn't eat any. I'm afraid to feed her any other kind of worm just yet since she's so tiny. She LOVES and will only eat crickets, so I've been gut loading them with veggies, because she won't eat the veggies herself. Anyway, back to my original question, are mealworms safe? At work they feed the dragons mealworms when we're low or out of small crickets. Some of the dragons practically pounce on them, other dragons ignore them. I've just read on some posts that mealworms are bad. So I'm just wondering. Also, I have red wigglers too. Can bearded dragons eat those, if I tore them up into small pieces for her?

No mealworms are not really good for dragons especially young ones because they contain chitlin in their shells that make them very hard to digest and can cause impaction. Yes they can eat the red worms just make sure they were not raised for bait and don't have chemicals from the bedding they are in.

Draeju's_world

Juvenile Dragon
The only mealworms i would feed any young dragon are the white ones that just molted. Small supers are a better choice but dont over do it with them (feed sparingly). Use caution with young dragons, feed them early in the day and make sure to hydrate the dragons before feeding.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
No to meal worms. As far as the red wigglers go, you can try but they probably won't like them. Red wigglers put off a toxin when atracked that makes them taste bad and makes predators spit them out.

LCfrogs

Hatchling Dragon
No to meal worms. As far as the red wigglers go, you can try but they probably won't like them. Red wigglers put off a toxin when atracked that makes them taste bad and makes predators spit them out.
Oh wow! I didn't know that!!!