• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just got Manny some crickets

Kuhli

Bearded Dragon Egg
Got Manny 200 1/2" crickets. Im terrified to touch them or pick them up. They make sounds. How long did it take for you guys to be okay handling crickets? Because my hands got clammy and i was LITERALLY SHAKING just from LOOKING at them. Pretty sure I have some form of intomophobia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Lol, I dont like them either. I used to catch them when I was a kid, dunno why I dont like them now. I dont like jumping insects full stop. What I did was get a cricket pen, Its just an plastic box with 4 plastic tubes sticking into it. The crickets go into the tubes where its dark and you just take a tube out and shake out a few into a plastic tub for dusting.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
By the way, you will have to find some way to handle them, its not good to leave uneaten ones in the tank. I usually use the same tube to sccop them back up or chase them back into the dusting tub if they are being fiesty. They are really good at hiding too. I was almost glad my beardies lost their taste for them and I switched to dubias.

Kuhli

Bearded Dragon Egg
Lol, I dont like them either. I used to catch them when I was a kid, dunno why I dont like them now. I dont like jumping insects full stop. What I did was get a cricket pen, Its just an plastic box with 4 plastic tubes sticking into it. The crickets go into the tubes where its dark and you just take a tube out and shake out a few into a plastic tub for dusting.
THATS SOUNDS GREAT[emoji33] THANK YOU SO MUCH where you get that cricket pen

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It takes time I used to breed them.. make sure you feed in a different tub so you can get out any uneaten crickets as they can nibble on a sleeping dragon causing wounds.

Kuhli

Bearded Dragon Egg
It takes time I used to breed them.. make sure you feed in a different tub so you can get out any uneaten crickets as they can nibble on a sleeping dragon causing wounds.
Good to know Ive been feeding Manny in his enclosure Ill get on that asap

Oh and those cricket pens are so expensive wtf[emoji58] a 6 inch one is $13 and a12 inch one is $29?! I might make my own

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh yea they are suoer expensive. Just get yourself a plastic tub with lid. Cut top and screen a large opening, cut holes along top of the tub and screen. They really need good ventilation! I often had a fan directed in there area tgey give off heat depending on how many you get. I used egg flats standing up so poop falls and i would use some paper towel rolls for easy gathering of them. They love to climb. Then i just covered the tub in black paper (or buy dark tub) and a reg bulb in a metal deflector for heat.
They just dont have a long lifespan so....
They are stinky, noisy, and kinda high maintenance.
I raise dubia now thank goodness WAY easier and better for them.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yep, they are not cheap, especially for what they are. You could make your own for next to nothing I guess. I went a bit crazy setting up for my 2, spent about £850 so far, so the price of the cricket pen just didnt register in my noggin. still....they are worth every penny :)

Kpontius

Hatchling Dragon
By the way, you will have to find some way to handle them, its not good to leave uneaten ones in the tank. I usually use the same tube to sccop them back up or chase them back into the dusting tub if they are being fiesty. They are really good at hiding too. I was almost glad my beardies lost their taste for them and I switched to dubias.
I just took a milk jug and cut the bottom out so I use it with the handle and scoop them up. They can climb out of it

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I used gloves when I first started feeding bugs to my animals. After a few months I got used to them and ditched the gloves.