• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Jethro Had Surgery When To Expect Appetite?

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey guys. I know how much everyone loves their animals. And would do anything to take care of them. A few weeks ago I noticed Jethro was eating less and her poops were smaller because of that. I really started freaking out. This past Tuesday I called my Mom in tears. She knew how much Jethro means to me and decided to help me find a vet. I thought it impossible for our area but we found one. Dr. Hannon was our guy. He did Xrays $255. To find out that Jethro had a ton of eggs pushing her stomach forward. He also felt prior and confirmed with Xrays that she had a mass near her ovaries which should not be there. My mom and I talked it out after he said surgery was our only option at that point. She asked what I wanted. I said I wanted to do all I could to save my baby. So she agreed.

Yesterday we took her in for surgery. It took awhile because they forgot to put it in their system that she was having it done. I called every few hours and thankfully they were patient with me. Turns out she had a huge nasty cyst on her ovary that was creating egg bound problems. They got rid of it along with eggs and spayed her. She hemorraghed a few times but they finally got her taken care of. It took awhile for her to come out of the anesthesia. They had her on a tube for awhile till she could breath on her own. About 6:30ish we got the call saying we could get her. After we finished dinner we left asap to get her. My mom took pics of the cyst and eggs. The assistant gave me medicine I have to give her once a day in the morning for infection and pain.

She did say it would be a slow recovery but I am curious if anyone else had done this for their beardies and if so how long did the recovery take? When did yours start eating? She has slowly moved throughout today but will not eat. I refuse to give her crickets just yet. Mostly tried collards. Will try squash tomorrow.

I am posting the pics on here. If I am wrong to do so please let me know and I will remove them.

Surgery was still expensive but less than we were told. $1100.....ish.

Attachments

• Nasty cyst and eggs.jpg
    Nasty cyst and eggs.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 82
  • 66455FE2-.jpg
    66455FE2-.jpg
    481.3 KB · Views: 87

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh my!! Poor baby!! I'm glad that you had her seen as that could have only ended badly..I would offer her up the crickets or dubia roaches as they have a soft body and lots of moisture in them..If she's ready to eat she will..Just take things slowly and keep her hydrated..

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you Hdrydr31. She is my baby. I plan to mist her today. She had plenty of fluids in her from the surgery to stay hydrated so she is good on that. I may try to offer a cricket today or tomorrow. I am just reaaaaally nervous. The vet made it clear to NOT over do it. She has greens in her tank, collards. So I will see if she eats any in a little bit. I just hope she starts eating soon. If not I will try hand feeding her tomorrow with syringe.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Poor thing. She's probably pretty sore and not thinking about food. I would make her some healthy slurries with her greens and vitamins and maybe some bee pollen along with some plain coconut water. Hopefully she starts feeling better soon.

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank-you PatsyB! I actually received a follow up call from the assistant at the vet to see how Jethro was doing. They said not to be too worried since she is eating a little bit. Just keep checking on her and offering some foods. She had 3 crickets yesterday which surprised me but I am grateful! I will probably make a Butternut squash puree thing tomorrow. I was told no baths but she can have a misting done or I could put her in a separate tub and bring her in the bathroom while I take a shower (not with me in the shower but outside of it) so she can feel the humidity of the warm water in the air. Really glad my Mom found this vet and super glad she helped me save my Jethro. I don't know what I would have done if I had lost her. She is 6 years old now! I have had her since she was a baby and we have really bonded! :) <3

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
I am so happy she is doing well, and glad that you are able to take care of her!!! I don't have any other advise, just best wishes!

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you KrissyLeigh! I am hoping to get her to eat tomorrow. Today she did nothing but sleep. I got her medicine, sort of but still. She did not want to move and since I had to work, I let her sleep but still had her lights on. She is still breathing, just sleeping. Hoping for a little more activity tomorrow .

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you rdoyle225! I have had cysts as well and they are never fun. She finally started eating a little more the last few days. Had five crickets the other day AND POOED!!! The poo was still not as big as normal but it was bigger than the ones before the surgery so I will take It! Got my hubby to help chop up some Butternut squash to give her tomorrow. That is her favorite. Gonna give it a shot and see how she does. She has not wanted crickets yesterday or today so hopefully tomorrow she will want to eat. She did get baby food squash yesterday but as I said, will try the real deal tomorrow morning after she has had her medicine :)

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I made her one awhile back but have to fix it. She is doing soooooo much better! Eating more and more every other day! She had 25 crickets today! Now if I could just get her to eat her veggies like she needs to XD

HerpPrincess

Bearded Dragon Egg
Wow! Poor baby. So glad she is doing well. They are very resilient and it's often surprising what they can overcome and how quick they bounce back.

You have done a great job in getting her treated and helping her recover. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you HerpPrincess! Jethro is continuing to do well. I am pleased with how much she has progressed. The vet said she looks good, and that she may shed her stitches off on her own. My problem is now, vet said too soon to take stitches out, but she is now shedding. Mostly on top right now and she is stressed by it, but I am concerned about the stitches. I don't want them infected and do not want them to come undone. I am keeping an eye on her and praying that the stitches do not open up.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you HerpPrincess! Jethro is continuing to do well. I am pleased with how much she has progressed. The vet said she looks good, and that she may shed her stitches off on her own. My problem is now, vet said too soon to take stitches out, but she is now shedding. Mostly on top right now and she is stressed by it, but I am concerned about the stitches. I don't want them infected and do not want them to come undone. I am keeping an eye on her and praying that the stitches do not open up.
Thanks for the update and do your best with keeping the area clean and dry, how much longer on the stitches??

Meganolvt

Bearded Dragon Egg
Remember that when they close the abdomen after surgery there are several layers of sutures. So even if she sheds the skin ones out, there are other internal layers of sutures to keep everything closed.