• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my juvie eating too little?

Kuhli

Bearded Dragon Egg
I finally got my account working again, but I actually did get a bearded dragon so yay[emoji322] His name is Manny and he's a juvenile, i dont know his specific age.
His diet is primarily collard greens and crickets, and every so often I'll add carrots, waxworms, other safe greens, etc for some variety.
But he barely eats. He's completely tame, has no issue being held. I carry him everywhere. But sometimes he doesnt eat every day. I used to put fresh food in his 40 gal every single day, even twice a day, but now sometimes I've been slacking because he doesnt eat it. He never eats all of his food, but he seems to eat crickets the most.
Is it the fact that hes a juvie, so he doesnt want to eat his vegetables? Does it have to do with him recently being in shed? Even if those are the reasons, is he going to be ok? How long can my beardie go without food?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Congratulations on getting Manny! As they get older their eating habits can change, how long have you had him? as if it hasn't been long that could play a part. Just keep offering the salad greens everyday and keep gut loading the feeders the same greens/veggies so when he eats them he's also getting some of the nutrients. You can offer different feeders to see if he's just bored of the crickets with like dubia or supers to name a few. Their appetite can change when they are shedding but not always. Don't worry they won't starve themselves.

Kuhli

Bearded Dragon Egg
Congratulations on getting Manny! As they get older their eating habits can change, how long have you had him? as if it hasn't been long that could play a part. Just keep offering the salad greens everyday and keep gut loading the feeders the same greens/veggies so when he eats them he's also getting some of the nutrients. You can offer different feeders to see if he's just bored of the crickets with like dubia or supers to name a few. Their appetite can change when they are shedding but not always. Don't worry they won't starve themselves.
ok thats what i was worried about him starving himself. Its been 5 months from gettinf him. I think ive been giving him too large of food portions, because today I gave him a tiny handful and he ate immediately. I forget how tiny he is sometimes[emoji23]

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ok thats what i was worried about him starving himself. Its been 5 months from gettinf him. I think ive been giving him too large of food portions, because today I gave him a tiny handful and he ate immediately. I forget how tiny he is sometimes[emoji23]

Don't be hard on yourself they will change what they like to eat all the time, they may change when they want to eat, they may like to eat in private.. You just never know with these silly dragons..

Edd

Hatchling Dragon
I can relate to the eating in private.......I have a baby but if I sit in the room even very still IT wont go eat. I leave and come back in 5 min. everything is gone. GO FIGURE!!!!