• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Interesting thought for us reptile keepers

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
So this might sound odd and I admit it's very odd but I can't be the only terrarium enthusiast who has thought about this. This is just speculation of course since no one has ever actually seen one but considering many dinosaurs were actually small I wonder how they might have been as pets, I never said good pets but pets nonetheless, I really don't even believe there is such thing as a "good" pet since all creatures have their own unique behaviors traits and challenges for keeping. Anyway I wonder how certain dinosaurs might have fared in reptile collections, maybe on par with other large species like monitor lizards and tegus, big pythons and boas and the occasional crocodilians people have. Let's look at the compsognathus for instance. It was a small theropod (bipedal carnivore) that lived in Europe during the Jurassic period. It was roughly 3 feet long and weighed about 1-7 pounds. It would still probably need a several hundred gallon tank and might not even be able to live in a tank considering how active they probably were and might actually have to live in a specially designed enclosure. I wonder what kind of heating and lighting it would need, whether or not it would need a basking spot. Considering their relation to birds they might actually have been warm blooded so special heat lighting might not be necessary. As far as diet is concerned they ate lizards and probably small mammals and birds so you could probably easily feed them the same diet as other large reptiles, mice and rats, other rodents, chicks and anoles. I bet they would probably be snappy though and able to give a nasty bite. I'd be very curious to hear anyone's thoughts on this.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I think small dinosaurs would end up in large outdoor enclosures. Or extravagant indoor enclosures depending on the local climate. I shudder to think of their monthly food bill if they were kept as modern day pets haha.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I think small dinosaurs would end up in large outdoor enclosures. Or extravagant indoor enclosures depending on the local climate. I shudder to think of their monthly food bill if they were kept as modern day pets haha.

Oh my gosh your right that would be horrible :) Probably would have to eat six jumbo rats a day just to keep up with it's energy lol

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Oh my gosh your right that would be horrible :) Probably would have to eat six jumbo rats a day just to keep up with it's energy lol
Oh my goodness, if that! Maybe some raw fish you caught, and then some raw chicken, a rabbit here and there, some rats. You'd want to keep it varied for the best nutritional support. Hey, maybe that annoying neighbor down the street. Kidding, but it's probably a good thing we can't have dinosaurs :)

An herbivore might not be so bad.

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Oh my goodness, if that! Maybe some raw fish you caught, and then some raw chicken, a rabbit here and there, some rats. You'd want to keep it varied for the best nutritional support. Hey, maybe that annoying neighbor down the street. Kidding, but it's probably a good thing we can't have dinosaurs :)

An herbivore might not be so bad.

Good point! I have always liked the Ankylosaurus, a nice plant eater. Except they weighed about 7 tons so I'd probably have to put him a stable reserved for him :)

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Good point! I have always liked the Ankylosaurus, a nice plant eater. Except they weighed about 7 tons so I'd probably have to put him a stable reserved for him :)
Haha! I'd take a peaceful and pint sized Dino :) I suppose that's what my beardies are though.

I don't know what I'd do with a 7 ton Dino. "Don't mind me, my car broke down so I'm taking my Ankylosaurus to work today!"

I wish I could hop in a time machine and see them for myself. They must have been absolutely amazing.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
In theory they sound like they would be awesome pets because we love reptiles so much. I would worry about the food though, considering food was probably so scarce to begin with, it was probably hard to feed humans let alone a pet. Although, they could have been kept like cows or chickens and raised to be food.

Plus can you imagine cleaning up that POOP :eek:

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I would've had a dinosaur for sure lol. It would have to be something tiny though. Can you imagine caring for a T-Rex? "Okay kids mommas gotta feed fluffy, lets all pray momma doesn't become lunch in the process" [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I would've had a dinosaur for sure lol. It would have to be something tiny though. Can you imagine caring for a T-Rex? "Okay kids mommas gotta feed fluffy, lets all pray momma doesn't become lunch in the process" [emoji23]

Haha humans wouldn't be at the top of the food chain anymore.

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
In theory they sound like they would be awesome pets because we love reptiles so much. I would worry about the food though, considering food was probably so scarce to begin with, it was probably hard to feed humans let alone a pet. Although, they could have been kept like cows or chickens and raised to be food.

Plus can you imagine cleaning up that POOP :eek:

Oh man that sends a chill of dread down my spine. The whole time "try not to think about it, try not to think about it, try not to think about it."

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member

Oh man that would be awful, imagine having to put down your old dog. Well kids, old rusty went real peacefully, Fluffy made sure of that :)