• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to feed 3 dragons that just hatched within last week?

Kristina Unglesbee

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi,
I am seeking some advice from those who may be more experienced with bearded dragons than I. Our female dragon laid her first clutch of eggs....13, with 4 fertile. 3 of the 4 have hatched within the past week.

I am having a hard time getting the hatchlings to eat. I am hand feeding them by syringe with a product a pet store suggested.....Repta-Boost. The oldest hatchling is getting some nutrients because it has gone to the bathroom twice. The younger two hatchlings, one that hatched this past Wednesday, are not so eager to eat and have not gone to the bathroom.

I am wondering how long it will take for these little guys to start showing eagerness for food? I have offered a small cricket each time I feed them but the hatchling will not go after it and eat it, even though I am feeding the dragons in a separate container that is small (so that the dragon doe snot have to chase the food).

Any advice would be helpful. Hoping that these little guys will grow.

Thanks,

~Kristina

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hi. i cant help ya with this one - never had any babies (of any species) i know there are folks on here who have a much better grasp of this than i - hoping they will chime in. keep us posted

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've not ever had hatchlings but I would imagine crickets like a week to 2 week olds, dubia nymphs, phoenix worms would all work. then there's the grub pies, slurry greens, supplements..

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
Sorry pressed send by accident. They can have small crickets, mind you they've been known to get scared of crickets (5x a wk with calcium powder ) if dubia roaches come small you can try those. Make sure nothing bigger then what can fit between their eyes, offER them salad everyday, chopped very small. Good luck my fellow beardie friend!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
You can offer them water, from an eye dropper oR a water bottle

Kristina Unglesbee

Bearded Dragon Egg
You can offer them water, from an eye dropper oR a water bottle

Thanks for the advice. I am providing water with a calcium supplement via spray bottle daily to prevent dehydration. I had read that the little beardie's could drown if offerred a water dish, which is why I spritz them and the wall, slightly. I have noticed them licking the water droplets on the water, so i am hoping that is working.

In terms of food, I am hand feeding them supplements via a syringe daily and leaving kale chopped up in the container. It can be rather difficult hand feeding these little guys :)

I have noticed that two of the 4 have gone to the bathroom, so I know the food is processing and the oldest, born, two weeks ago is definitely bigger. Hoping for success, for these little guys.

Thanks,

~Kristina

Kristina Unglesbee

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've not ever had hatchlings but I would imagine crickets like a week to 2 week olds, dubia nymphs, phoenix worms would all work. then there's the grub pies, slurry greens, supplements..
Do you know where I can find small crickets? I have tried Pet Smart and Petco but the small crickets are still too big at the moment. The cricket chases the lizard, go figure :)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Do you know where I can find small crickets? I have tried Pet Smart and Petco but the small crickets are still too big at the moment. The cricket chases the lizard, go figure :)
You will likely need to buy pinheads or just above that online.. I don't know of any petstore that carries them that tiny.. small mom and pop pet stores may carry tiny ones.. Or if you can find ones that are small enough you can always snip the back legs off so they can't move around as well so the babies can catch them

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Kale isn't good to feed alone because it binds to calcium and little ones need the most nutrients, if they are even eating the veggies. Offer something else like dandelion greens, collards, mustard greens or turnip greens.