• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Horned worms

Sezi1foryou

Bearded Dragon Egg
Mykonos's has a problem with horned worms In her garden and flowers has anyone ever fed their beardy not store bought horned worms. The pet store said ok to do but skeptical. Is this ok opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No I would not feed any bugs from outside as you don't know if they have eaten pesticides.. and they can carry parasites I would stick to feeders raised in controlled settings.

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
I have actually read that their natural foods make them mildly toxic to beardies- that is why they come with special paste like food when you order them.

I looked into keeping raising some for feeders, but making a special food all the time is just too much work with all my other critters right now.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have actually read that their natural foods make them mildly toxic to beardies- that is why they come with special paste like food when you order them.

I looked into keeping raising some for feeders, but making a special food all the time is just too much work with all my other critters right now.
OMG yea I knew I was forgetting something when I posted earlier!!! I was thinking "I know I'm forgetting something....." lol yes that is it KrissyLeigh thank you!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Krissy is right, don't feed them the ones directly from the garden, tomato and pepper plant leaves are toxic and that's what they eat. You could however collect the hornworms and let them morph into moths and you can use them to breed your own hornworms.

I remember the first time I ever saw a hornworm, it was about a year before I got my first reptile. I had no idea what they were, I only knew they were a PITA to get off my tomato leaves and I ended up killing them all with a mild baby soap and water mixture!