• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hidey Ho

Wingless Elliot

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am new here, hope to learn some good things here. Elliott is my first Dragon. Could use good advice to keep him happy.

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
Let's start with this: how old is him/her, what do you have for the tank? Is this your very 1st dragon?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Wingless Elliot

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, He's under a year,, 40 gal. Tank. Yes this is my first Dragon. He doesn't seem to want to be touched. I want to get him out but he gets upset with me. How do I get him use to me, and does his spikes hurt. I want him to be happy.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
Because he is so young they are naturally skittish however, the more you handle him the better he'll get at letting you touch him, the spikes don't hurt, at least with mine and I've got 8 beardies. If you visit other parts of this forum you'll find alot of info. Hand feeding is also another way to bond to your beardie. Make sure you have proper lighting and food. He should be eating small crickets with a dusting of calcium 3x a week and greens every day, the best are collard, mustard and turnip greens, NO SPINACH! Hand feed the greens. I don't give mine any kind of meal worms just superworms. If you're gonna give yours superworms make sure they're the small ones. When mine were little I stayed away from superworms, my own personal preference. I hope this info helps. Make sure you visit the other area's of this forum, there's alot of good info and people with experience. Good luck, keep us posted and we love pics here☺

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah don't worry much about the spikes, they won't hurt you. They look much worse than they actually are.

Make sure youre coming at him correctly. Approach him slowly with your hand. Not from above, like a predator. You want him to see your hand and slip it underneath him and lift. Dont grab him from above. Hand feeding is a great way to bond. Some people recommend putting a shirt of yours into his cage so he can get used to your natural scent (no cologne or perfumes). Just be patient, and try not to force him. Once he learns that the hand delivers food, he will start to come around. It does take persistence.

If you can get ahold of appropriately sized dubia, those are much better than crickets. I hate them and love them at the same time.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum and if you take a look at the links below several of our comments we have put together a ton of information on everything that you need to care for them..