• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi!!

ChelzNAstrid

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got Astrid about 3-4 weeks ago. Shes only about 6 in, and hasnt grown any since I got her. Shes not eating much. She ate maybe 6 wax worms around 2 weeks ago, but none since. However, I am finding poo about once a week, so she must be munching on the pellets. Was told she may have been too young to have been sold. Also shes active. She will bask, move to cold spots, change log positions, move her head to listen... And she responds well to being held. She will let me hold her on her back to rub her belly. But I am concerned that a bearded dragon isnt jumping at the op to eat live food.Any advice??

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome,
what other feeder bugs are you offering? pellets are not a very good option food wise as they need fresh live food for moisture and other nutrients, pellets are full of preservatives/colors.. Live is always best. Crickets, dubia roaches, small superworms, phoenix worms are all good options..Under this comment you will find resource links in there we have linked a site for food items and how to prep them. She should be eating more than that for sure.

ChelzNAstrid

Bearded Dragon Egg
None. Was told to offer different bugs If she wasnt responding to the meal worms. So I am going to try that.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
None. Was told to offer different bugs If she wasnt responding to the meal worms. So I am going to try that.
Oh gosh no you want to stay away from mealworms as they are hard to digest as they contain large amount of chitlin in their shells... try crickets, dubia roaches, superworms (small ones these are not just large mealworms they are different more fleshy) silkworms, phoenix worms, hornworms, waxworms, butterworms... variety is always best.. may just not like the bugs she's getting.

ChelzNAstrid

Bearded Dragon Egg
I think shes a tad too small for a hornworm. But I am getting crickets and am going to look for small superworms. On the way there now!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think shes a tad too small for a hornworm. But I am getting crickets and am going to look for small superworms. On the way there now!
You can get small hornworms so if fed off before they get too big your ok.. They are pretty much just liquid so when they bite them they kinda deflate lol

ChelzNAstrid

Bearded Dragon Egg
Let her hang out in a warm bath while I cleaned out her tank. Got her some crickets and small superworms. She ate one (dusted) cricket and one worm. Next day, one cricket...

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Let her hang out in a warm bath while I cleaned out her tank. Got her some crickets and small superworms. She ate one (dusted) cricket and one worm. Next day, one cricket...
just being sure you got small superworms not mealworms right?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Like Hdrydr said, make sure you get a variety of bugs and make sure they are appropriate sized for her. If she ate wax worms, try phoenix worms, they are full of calcium and very healthy and small enough for her to eat. Wax worms are full of fat so not a good everyday feeder. Baby dubia would be very healthy too, better than crickets.

ChelzNAstrid

Bearded Dragon Egg
She never had wax worms. I keep saying wax worms, but mean meal worms. Yes they are small superworms. But she seems to favor the crickets right now. So ive got plenty of those for her. Were still working on greens. I offer everyday, but shes not going for it yet.