• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hey

Zeus_the_nogard

Hatchling Dragon
New owner of a beardie. Have had him for about 3 weeks, he's growing strong and is energetic as none other. I don't really have any issues as being new because my neighbor has had beardies for awhile and he set us up and taught us how to take care of him. The only thing...I have no clue what type he is.
If anyone would have an idea that'd be great
Meet Zeus
image.jpg

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
From that one picture, I would say you have a good old fashioned "normal" bearded dragon. Can you maybe post a picture taken from a lesser distance? Maybe one of Zues' eyes and nails too?

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Zooming in and the eyes looks black with clear nails, this means trans for the black eyes and hypo for the clear nails. Let me know if the eyes and nails are wrong on my part. Going from that you need to know that breeding this to another trans will probably create sick dragons. As for the colors, they aren't used for typing a dragon. While colors are technically a morph they aren't used by breeders and advanced dragon owners to describe dragons genetics. Colors get names to trick people into paying more.

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Looks like his nails are clear, so I would say hypo. Are all his nails clear? I still can't see his eye very well. Is it completely black?

Zeus_the_nogard

Hatchling Dragon
Eye is completely black
Nails are clear but looks like an extremely thin black line down the tops of them all

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hmmm. Black eyes indicate translucent (trans). The clear nails make him hypo. Although, the black line could be an indicator that he's het hypo (that means he carries the hypo gene, but isn't hypo). If that's the case, I would say he's trans het hypo. If anyone else wants to ring in on the thin black line through each nail, that would be awesome.

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Trans yes hypo you need to find out the lineage. While it's probably het hypo i've seen non hypo dragons with partially clear nails.

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Het hypo means your dragon carries the hypomelanistic gene, but doesn't display the trait. It's like a recessive gene.

Zeus_the_nogard

Hatchling Dragon
The far left is a 100w black heat bulb for nighttime
Next is 150 watt basking/UVB bulb
He seemed like he wasn't feeling good with just that so we got him another 100w UVB bulb next to it
And another 100w black heat bulb for night time
Tank hits 109 under basking light and where he lays is 82
At night it varies from 75-85

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
OK....... Get ride of the night time heat..... The only time you need night heat is if the temp DROP BELOW 65 degrees...... And if your temps do drop below that than use ceramic heat emitters which produce heat and no light.