• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help!

dbrooke

Bearded Dragon Egg
We got our first bearded dragon about 6 weeks ago. It seemed to have a very docile temperament, and ate well (veggies and crickets). About 1 month in we woke up one morning and it was dead.
We went to the pet store this past Saturday and spoke with someone who seemed to be knowledgeable. After asking is several questions about our tank set-up and what we had fed our first dragon, he said we must have just gotten one that had some sort of underlying health conditions. So we can home with a new dragon.

We have had the new guy since Saturday. He is slightly bigger and seems to be much more alert than our first dragon. The problem is that we can't get him to eat anything...he actually runs away from crickets and doesn't touch any of the fresh vegetables. After the first 48 hours, we have attempted to pick him up, but he runs quickly to the other side of the tank. He hasn't even pooped. Not sure what to do!

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey! I'm new to dragons as well, so I can't give you much useful information. I'm sorry about your first dragon, and I hope your second does better! Lots of people on here have lots of helpful knowledge, but I can at least offer that my new scaled pal hasn't eaten as much as I had expected and has had a couple days of barely eating at all. I got him about 2 weeks ago. I think it may be due to anxiety of a new home. This is the input I can give that's maybe a bit comforting, but others on the site will be able to give you some more informed input. Wish you the best!

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi - sorry to hear about your first kid - this, unfortunately happens from time to time. not your fault ! PLEASE - take a look at the links below for some super information put together by some of our members - really good stuff about how to care for your beardie ! When they are re-homed, they can go through "relocation stress" - they don't know you, they don't know the new home, they don't know the new sounds and smells. Babies typically will not eat a lot of veggies - they need more protein to grow. I would suggest that you try to let him get used to his new digs before you try to interact with him. What some folks have found is that if you wear a cotton scarf for several hours (no perfume or cologne, please) it will pick up your scent - place this in his tank (where he sleeps is good) so he gets your smell. And - start slowly. He's scared. Maybe just stroke the top of his head, or down his back line. ALWAYS pick them up by scooping your hand under his belly - NEVER from the top (prey animals - like birds- come down from the top). I would also suggest to try to feed him in a separate container - loose crickets in his tank may actually bother him while he tries to sleep. a large cardboard box or Rubbermaid container is good. hang in there. let us know how you're doing - and ask any questions which may come up along the way !!

dbrooke

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi - sorry to hear about your first kid - this, unfortunately happens from time to time. not your fault ! PLEASE - take a look at the links below for some super information put together by some of our members - really good stuff about how to care for your beardie ! When they are re-homed, they can go through "relocation stress" - they don't know you, they don't know the new home, they don't know the new sounds and smells. Babies typically will not eat a lot of veggies - they need more protein to grow. I would suggest that you try to let him get used to his new digs before you try to interact with him. What some folks have found is that if you wear a cotton scarf for several hours (no perfume or cologne, please) it will pick up your scent - place this in his tank (where he sleeps is good) so he gets your smell. And - start slowly. He's scared. Maybe just stroke the top of his head, or down his back line. ALWAYS pick them up by scooping your hand under his belly - NEVER from the top (prey animals - like birds- come down from the top). I would also suggest to try to feed him in a separate container - loose crickets in his tank may actually bother him while he tries to sleep. a large cardboard box or Rubbermaid container is good. hang in there. let us know how you're doing - and ask any questions which may come up along the way !!
Thanks for the support! I've been reading through some of the other posts. I think part of the problem is that our new beardie's behavior is a lot more typical to what you would expect from a new bearded dragon as compared to the first one that we had. I think we may just need to practice some patience as he settles into his new home.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Every bearded dragon is different. I always say if I got my second one first, I never would have gotten a second one because he was so difficult to deal with for the first 9 months he was with us. Give some patience and if you are using a glass tank, try covering 3 sides of the tank to make him feel more secure.

Sorry for the loss of your first one :(