• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help Please: Possible fatty liver disease - Precribed antibiotics

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Oh and I'm checking on getting you at least some pictures of the syringe feeding technique mentioned.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There is a video of a vet putting their fingers over the dragon's eyes and it relaxes them enough for the jaw to be loose so they can put the syringe in to give this dragon meds.. I wanted to share this video with you (it was posted in a fb group patsy and I are in) so I'm waiting for her to see my pm to her to see about her posting it here for you. As it would be more effective than dripping it on the nose.
We may not be able to get the video over here but we 'might' be able to do a few screen shots, and depending on your dragon they may not stay still enough to do it.. so we are working on this but it might not be doable..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Okay so here are the still shots. I have the video but it's in FB messenger and I can't save it to my phone. The dragon does fight for a little bit before she settles down and allows the vet to do this so it takes lots of patience.

With her thumb and forefinger she puts slight pressure on the eyes, the eyes close, the dragon relaxes and the opens its mouth.
IMG_7225.PNG
IMG_7227.PNG
IMG_7228.PNG

Neuro

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
There is a video of a vet putting their fingers over the dragon's eyes and it relaxes them enough for the jaw to be loose so they can put the syringe in to give this dragon meds.. I wanted to share this video with you (it was posted in a fb group patsy and I are in) so I'm waiting for her to see my pm to her to see about her posting it here for you. As it would be more effective than dripping it on the nose.

I would like to see this video. The lactulose and the baytril have been the most horrible part of all of this treatment. I would love to make that easier on her. I've watched videos from I think Michael Behrends(sp?) where he says and shows to start the syringe from the side of the mouth and slowly move it to the front and then slowly inject. That's what I have been doing and I hope it's correct?

I have not minded dripping the food on her nose, she gets irritated and it takes a lot of time, but it seems so much less traumatic and stressful on her than when I give the meds. This whole thing has been very hard on both of us. :/

Thanks for everything so far, I look forward to hearing back from you.

--Neuro

Neuro

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Okay so here are the still shots. I have the video but it's in FB messenger and I can't save it to my phone. The dragon does fight for a little bit before she settles down and allows the vet to do this so it takes lots of patience.

Sorry I posted before I saw this post. I will try that tomorrow. Thankfully she still is very active and energetic so I dunno if she will let me do this. But maybe that is a good thing. I'd have to see the video I guess to see how much fight that dragon put up. Heh. But I will see what happens when I try.

She is normally pretty relaxed with me and closes her eyes when I stroke her head etc. However with all of this force feeding of meds I fear I am ruining that bond. :/

Thanks for the screenshots and the info. I really appreciate it.

--Neuro

Neuro

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Sorry guys, one last thing before I have to give her next dose of antibiotics in the morning.

Should I be shooting the meds in from the side of the mouth or the front of the mouth like the pictures above? I just did some googling and there seems to be a lot of contradictory information out there about which method has the potential to aspirate them, and I definitely don't want that! Please help. Thanks again for everything!

--Neuro

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
For me personally, I'd do whatever way she's able to tolerate it don't worry about breaking the bond, she knows what you're doing is helping her, you're doing an excellent job! Just keep stroking her and give her lovies and possess a positive vibe she'll pick up on your good energy, I'm realizing how lucky I am the only health issue I've ever had was a round of parasites, these 2 ppl that are helping you thru this are very knowledgeable beardie parents with experience in Healthcare.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I've watched Michael's video too, very helpful. I always do the meds very slowly from the front of the mouth, it's nice when they are just willing to lick it off the syringe. You want to make sure they are relaxed as possible to avoid aspiration. I have a girl that aspirates, it's not fun.

If it happens, put her on your arm with her head facing down on an angle and her tail by your arm pit. Make sure her head is down and not up. It helps to burritowrap in a towel and cover her head. Pat her on her back and keep doingkit until fluid stops coming out of her mouth. It can take awhile for it all to come out.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry guys, one last thing before I have to give her next dose of antibiotics in the morning.

Should I be shooting the meds in from the side of the mouth or the front of the mouth like the pictures above? I just did some googling and there seems to be a lot of contradictory information out there about which method has the potential to aspirate them, and I definitely don't want that! Please help. Thanks again for everything!

--Neuro
You want to be kinda slow while putting any liquid into their mouths as yes they can aspirate pretty easily.. so if your able to allow them to swallow as your doing this that's best.. Now if they do seem to have gotten some aspirated wrap them up in a towel to keep them from wiggling about and tilt them downward and pat them like a baby on the back as to shake the liquid out of the mouth..This can take a bit to get any out of them so be patient, do this until they act normally again..
I wouldn't worry about "damaging" your bond with her she knows you love her..

Neuro

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks everyone for all of the information/advice and help. The antibiotic went a little smoother this morning. Still wondering if I really should be giving it to her because my vet said "just in case she has an infection" ... But I don't want to find out the hard way that I should have been giving it to her so we continue to.

--Neuro

Neuro

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello everyone, just a quick update and a question for PatsyB.

Litzy seems to be doing really good. She is very alert and active and trying to get away from me and my critical care/meds and my various syringes and droppers.

She is still not interested in food, but I, not totally surprised with all the meds and CC.

PatsyB: I got my Bene-Bac today. Should I mix that with her Critical Care or administer it separately? Also, is this something she will like the taste of and lick off her nose?

Thanks again everyone!

--Craig

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Glad she's doing good. As far as the benebac goes, do what works for you. She might lick it off her nose. It shouldn't really have a flavor to it.