• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from Ravi

Robthegeek

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone,

I am new to bearded dragons. I just bought one this past Friday at a reputable reptile shop here in Arizona. He is about two months old and his name is Ravioli (Ravi for short :) ). He seems to be doing well since I have brought him home. I didn't feed him the first night because it was late by the time we got him home and according to the shop, he had already eaten that day. The next morning he did eat at least 12 crickets dusted with calcium powder without hesitation.

I am a little concerned, however because the next day I tried to feed him, he refused the crickets. He chased them around a bit but did not eat any of them so I removed them from his tank. I also tried feeding him in a separate container, but he still wanted nothing to do with them. I did put some collard greens, zucchini, and yellow squash in his dish and he took a few bites from that yesterday and this morning while I was watching. He seemed to prefer the yellow squash. From what I've been reading, it seems like he might be starting the shedding process. His tail is a duller color than the rest of his body and when he was on his basking log, he was rubbing his face on it. How soon do beardies begin shedding?

I've picked him up several times over the past few days and he seems to really enjoy being handled which is great and he's gone potty a few times. I am just concerned with him not eating his live food. I understand he could still be under stress due to the relocation and starting the possible shedding process. I will keep trying to feed him everyday to see if he changes his mind but at what point should I start to become concerned? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I've attached a couple pictures of him. Sorry they are sideways. I couldn't figure out how to rotate them.

-Rob

20170429_121144.jpg

20170428_201619.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum and to beardies! You got a cutie there congrats!
As babies it will seem like they are in a constant shed lol they will shed ALOT, sometimes their appetite is affected sometimes not...
Babies need to be fed 3 times a day live and greens everday all day..with the last meal a min of 1 hour 2 is preferred before lights out so they can get the heat and UVB to digest.

Under several of our comments you will find links for new comers and in those links we have put together pretty much any info you may need on care for these guys... So take a look at those to make sure your husbandry has the things he needs to grow big and strong :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Welcome! It's possible he's still getting used to his surroundings. Try offering him food every day and taking out what he doesn't eat, except for the salad, leave that in all day. If he doesn't start eating you could cover 3 sides of his tank to make him feel a little bit more secure.

I have one older dragon that is a shy eater and she won't eat if I'm looking at her. I have to put bugs in and walk out of the room for a few minutes.