• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hearing and vision

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I was wondering, just how good is a beardies sight and hearing?. Sightwise I think they are on a par with birds (based on observations of my pair), they seem to be able to spot things from a fair distance, especially if it is moving. They even focus on things like birds do with one eye, though I would imagine that with eyes on the sides of their heads thay they have poor stereo vision. I doubt they see the world in the same way we do.
Hearing is a hard one to judge, but I guess the holes they have for ears are more for detecting vibration perhaps? I havent seen mine react at all to sounds yet and there were builders here last week making all kinds of noise. I think they must hear in frequencies beyond our ability to detect.
I doubt we can ever truly know, Im interested in what you guys think...

Honeybadger

Hatchling Dragon
I would say they have pretty good vision, but maybe limited clarity at a distance (Mine can pick out food with ease at about a meter, but further away she needs guidance) massive blindspots on the top of their head and under their chin, mine will put her chin to the desk or table to check where the edge is when going down.
As for hearing I am unsure at how well, but she can clearly hear, she will react to my boyfriend rummaging around and make moves to wanting to go there, and she reacts to her name and me clicking my tongue at her.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I noticed they are sorta like birds too with the tilting the head and focusing with one eye. They actually have poor depth perception and have difficulty seeing things that are real close but can see far.

My Chameleon was in his free range once about 6 feet up from Luci who was on the floor. Luci spotted him and stared at him and black bearded for the longest time. He kinda froze in place as he watched him. But yet, Luci would walk off a table because he doesn't know it ends LOL!

As far as hearing, I don't know. I'm kinda with you on the vibration thing. We have made lots of noise in their room after lights out and it doesn't phase them. The frogs jump around and bang around in the tank but they pay no attention to them. I have a feeling, especially with the parietal gland, that they are more visual creatures.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OMG yea they can see REALLY well far off!! lol when I have them outside they will all of a sudden stare up at the sky and I'll look and look and finally I'll see a plane WAY WAY up there LOL