• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Grub pie as staple

Donkeywing

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone. I am in a bit of a predicament and I am not sure what to do. I recently moved into a new apartment with a roommate. This house does not have a garage and my roommate really dislikes insects. I can't keep my feeder crickets inside (I am in canada, I cant get dubia roaches). The problem is that it gets really cold in the winter (plus snow and lots of rain) and really hot in the summer, sometimes up to 35+ degrees. I've tried keeping crickets outside on the balcony for a bit and they all died real fast. I don't want to keep the insects in my room either as the crickets tend to be really loud and is a bit smelly.

I found a product made by Repashy called Grub Pie (made for insectivores). Repashy is a great company and is trusted by reptile and fish keepers. I was wondering if I could use grub pie + veggies as a staple? I may have to rehome my beardie if I can't find a way to keep the bugs (been trying, no luck). My roommate is a friend of a friend of mine and kicking her out would be really rude.

I've heard a few people say that they've fed this as a staple because bugs are extremely expensive where they live (NZ)

My beardie is currently a year and a half old, so he doesnt require too many crickets/ mealworms (expensive here). Getting the bugs every week is really expensive. I put the ingredients and such of the Grub Pie at the end of this post. Thank you.

Grub Pie info:

Our Insect Based (75%) Meal Replacement Gel for Insectivorous Species of Reptiles and Amphibians. Great for Bearded Dragons, Skinks, Dwarf Monitors, Salamanders and more. Insects are raised in the USA on high quality ingredients!

INGREDIENTS: Insect Meal, Dried Seaweed Meal, Coconut Meal, Ground Flaxseed, Stabilized Rice Bran, Dried Brewers Yeast, Lecithin, Dried Kelp, Locust Bean Gum, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Citrate, Salt, Taurine, Watermelon, RoseHips, Hibiscus Flower, Calendula Flower, Marigold Flower, Paprika, Turmeric, Salt, Calcium Propionate and Potassium Sorbate (as preservatives), Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Manganese Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Copper Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Selenium Yeast. Vitamins: (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-Polyphosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex).

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein min. 40%, Crude Fat min. 12%, Crude Fiber max. 15%, Moisture max. 10%, Ash max. 12%, Calcium min. 1.5%.

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
Hmmm. That is a predicament. I tried feeding that product to my beardie, he wouldn't have it. Didn't even try it, no matter how I dressed it up. And I would feel uncomfortable feeding that as the staple.

Can you keep worms in your room? They last a long time, and sealed up in a little tub shouldn't freak your roomie out too much.

Since your beardie is an adult, could you just buy him insects as he is about to eat them? In the long run it's more expensive, but week to week if you just bought them 10 at a time, twice a week, it shouldn't be expensive on your monthly budget...

Of you have an outdoor areas another option is building a small heated box to put the box of crickets in - if you look up outdoor heated tortoise hides, there are some good diy plans.... not sure how all this would work for your situation, just some suggestions!

Donkeywing

Bearded Dragon Egg
I emailed Allen Repashy and he says he's fed this as a staple (for the insect part of the diet) for baby beardies that they raised with great results. Mine did eat a small piece but gave up after he couldn't grab it with his tongue. Trying to mix it in with his veggies so he'll learn to just bite it instead of trying to lick it.

Donkeywing

Bearded Dragon Egg
Cool! Keep us posted if you find a way he will eat it, I may try with mine again. Are you serving it room temperature?

I take it right out of the fridge and it sits for a few minutes. He is used to live crickets so he was a bit confused on why it didn't stick on his tongue. He didnt spit out the piece he ate last night, which I assume he likes it ;)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I don't know if I would feed it as a staple in place of bugs. I've seen them get runny stools if they eat too much of it. It's a great product. I try to feed it to mine every now and then, they don't always like it. I would get super worms instead of crickets and I would keep them in a closet or under your bed or something where your roommate can't see them. You're roommate knew that you had this pet when you moved in with them so they need to suck it up and let you provide what it needs.