• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Good soft bodied worm for daily feed

Kathy_D

Hatchling Dragon
My Heihei has MBD and refuses to touch any bug or worm that has been dusted with calcium. I was adding calcium to a slurry (per vet's suggestion), but most of the time more got on the towel than in her mouth. I felt like I couldn't give her a consistent dose of calcium. Someone here suggested getting liquid calcium and injecting a soft bodied worm. Brilliant!! I ordered the calcium and some syringes with needles from Beardeddragon.co and they arrived yesterday. I feed Heihei primarily BSFL, roaches and the occasional superworm. Lately, she has been refusing the roaches or eating 1 or 2 a day. Her appetite fluctuates, but she consistently eats BSFL. Even though they have good calcium, she still needs the extra boost, plus some days she will eat a total of 8 BSFL and other days she will eat over 60 total. Anyway, now my question: what is a good soft bodied worm that I can inject easily and feed one to her each day. She isn't that big, only about 100 grams at 6 months old. I am afraid that hornworms would be too big for her and since they grow so fast, not a good option. I did inject a superworm yesterday but that was not easy. Would wax worms or butter worms be okay to feed her one daily?

Picture added for cuteness factor!
6.2.2017.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You could try butterworms 1 a day I don't think would really hurt, they are high in fat and can be like dragon "crack" to them lol Waxworms are kinda small so trying to inject them I don't think would go well.

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
20170602_191444.jpg

If you are having trouble with the calcium, have you considered giving her supercalcium, if you haven't already? That way you don't have to worry about giving her as much.

Let me say though- you will need to do research to make sure how much to give her, as I have never used it. I ordered some supplements and I got supercal by mistake, but I looked it up and it's supposed to be good for reptiles with mbd or needing extra calcium. So something you might want to look into. The repashy products, customer service, and website is really good. I use a their products for my crestie, leopard gecko, and tortoises and they are great.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
View attachment 16844
If you are having trouble with the calcium, have you considered giving her supercalcium, if you haven't already? That way you don't have to worry about giving her as much.

Let me say though- you will need to do research to make sure how much to give her, as I have never used it. I ordered some supplements and I got supercal by mistake, but I looked it up and it's supposed to be good for reptiles with mbd or needing extra calcium. So something you might want to look into. The repashy products, customer service, and website is really good. I use a their products for my crestie, leopard gecko, and tortoises and they are great.
Excellent item!!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I always inject my hornworms with the calcium and vitamins. Just because they have the most room for extra fluid LOL! Another real good soft bodied worm as an every day feeder is silkworms. They are high in calcium and they contain an natural enzyme called serrapepatase (sp?) It's a natural pain reliever and it helps antibiotics and other supplements work faster. I ordered mine from Coastal Silkworms but I think Linda's Gone Buggie might have them in stock right now.