• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Food all night?

Slcburm

Bearded Dragon Egg
Should I leave his lettuce in the cage all night? I fed him some meal worms today but he only at 3-4 then walked away and no longer interested.

I have never owned a beardie so im trying to get into a feeding schedule with him so he can eat properly

thanks

Oh I see some people feed them hopper mice. Whats the thought on that? An Occasional treat, not at all etc?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It doesn't hurt to leave the greens in the enclosure, when you say lettuce, do you mean you are actually feeding lettuce. It is not a very good staple green.

Hoppers are not suited for BDs. Periodically, Pinkies can be fed, but are an unnecessary feeder, unless you are trying to bring a sick or recently gravid female's weight up.

There are one or 2 threads at the top of the General Discussion section that you may find useful, also.

Good Luck

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I'll leave the greens in till the next feeding time then change them out with fresh ones. And I would stay from feeding mice.

Slcburm

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yea I have greens in there all the time (til next feeding time). I bought 5 cockroaches today but I should have bought more. He ate 5 medium roaches real fast. Is this a time when I feed as much as he can eat in a certain time?

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Usually with adults you have to limit their protein intake. They like to eat bugs and such lots! They'll eat baby dragons too :(, doesn't mean it's good for them. Young ones you let them eat til they have had their fill, but adults get too fat and it causes health problems... kinda like humans... 5 probably wasn't enough, but I'm no expert on roaches.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
BDs are not likely to eat at night anyway, generally when they decide to go down for the night, you will usually find them almost exactly in the same spot & position in the morning, if there is nothing to disturb them. It is usually a good plan to leave some greens in over night, in case their may be any missed prey left in the enclosure, so they might have something else to nibble on, rather than the BD, when they come out of hiding at night. As far as how many roaches are fed, that would depend on what you would consider a 'Medium' roach & how often you feed Prey. Mid sized roaches in my colony are 1"-1.25" long. Common sense must prevail. My adults generally get 6-8 subadults, 1.5"-1.75" long, more if they are smaller, 2-3 times a week.