• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First time bearded mommy jitters..

Bambino2988

Bearded Dragon Egg
When I tried to feed him tonight I put 8 in there and he only ate 5 of them... I took the rest out and put them back into a container... Im guessing he's just getting used to his new home before he turns into a piggy dragon LOL

Bambino2988

Bearded Dragon Egg
Regarding crickets – as many as he will eat in about 15 minutes -three times a day. I'm thinking 20 crickets a day is on the low side But he may just be warming up to it too
Where is the cheapest and most "bang for your buck" per say in regards to purchasing crickets? My Petsmart charges $0.14 per cricket.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I used to get mine 500 at a time sometimes more from Armstrong Crickets it was worth it for me to pay the shipping to get them 2 day especially since I live in WI so weather can be all over the place.. I tried raising them but they are just too sensitive so was just easier to buy online. I know people get them from other places so hopefully they chime in. I was happy to make the switch to Dubia and haven't bought roaches in 2 years only feeders I buy now are supers and occasional treat worms.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
When I tried to feed him tonight I put 8 in there and he only ate 5 of them... I took the rest out and put them back into a container... Im guessing he's just getting used to his new home before he turns into a piggy dragon LOL
Just make sure he/she has min of an hour 2 hours is better for digestion before lights go out.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I can't really say anything that the others haven't. The red light is even bad during the day. It doesn't allow their eyes to constrict properly and over time can burn their retinas. He/she should be able to get about 6 inches away from the lights. Also, don't remember if I saw it mentioned, but you really need a digital probe thermometer or a temp gun. The analog and fish tank thermometers measure the temps at the glass, not in the spot that your dragon is sitting. So you really need something right on the basking spot and on the cool side.

Bambino2988

Bearded Dragon Egg
Can someone tell me what's wrong with his tail? It kind of looks like he is trying to shed but I'm not 100% sure. I put him in a separate tank this morning to feed him and he doesn't seem interested in eating anything.
e760b5b36a00c29d98fa8e7cfc024b0e.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sometimes they do a full body. Mine used to do tail then arms then head then body and then when the body was done the tail would be shedding again!

Bambino2988

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok, the basking bulb should probably be a 75 watt, the red light must go it interferes with his 3rd eye, they like to sleep in the dark, if your house gets below 65ish degree, he'll need a ceramic bulb, the reptisun should be 10.0 desert, some owners prefer the tubular uvb, I use what you have only in a 10.0 desert. Plz be sure to get rid of that red bulb☺ Food: collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion greens, chopped fine, fruit should not be his primary diet. Crickets: calcium dusted 3x day, as many as he'll eat, I personally didn't like giving my babies superworms (I have 8, for 7 yrs)until they were around a year, also try to stay away from mealworms , you can give him just a few wax worms a week, they are like cake to them, once he reaches around 6-7 months back off of the wax worms, maybe 5 a month . How old are the kids? If they are really young,I'd wait to have them handle him, however, he must be handled so he can become a part of the family, which you'll have to do, they are known for being very sweet. I've NEVER been bitten by mine. Any more questions plz ask, look forward to watching your friendship grow with this little guy. I'm sure you'll hear from Patsy B and Hdrydr31 both very knowledgeable beardie parents, plz keep us posted and good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk
I'm at the pet store now looking and there are two different types of bulbs. 1 is a 10.0 UVB 26 Watt, and the other is a 10.0 UVB 13 watt. Which one do I need?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You need a tube style UVB BULB that also
Requires a fixture to fit a tube bulb.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The wattage depends on the length, you want to to cover at least 2/3's of your tank.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
A reptiSun bulb is better than a Repti Glo bulb. A T8 bulb needs to be mounted in your tank a T5 bulb can go on top of the mesh.

Bambino2988

Bearded Dragon Egg
You need a tube style UVB BULB that also
Requires a fixture to fit a tube bulb.
This is what he has now, so my question is, Do I need to get a completely new fixture with a tube style bulb or do I just need to get a UVB 10.0 bulb for this fixture?
bd5d984529da9ae1d689bc34ba598b01.jpg
1aedeecebabdf1984d7502a497ad0759.jpg

Bambino2988

Bearded Dragon Egg
New decor and food bowls for my little guy.. It's starting to look like a decent home now. I put the tree in and he instantly went up it and went to sleep ❤. I'd say he likes it so far
296dcb384ae884f0ce94e4b7c170e7f7.jpg
03efb48d6e0f53edbe70a80f62b470b7.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
New decor and food bowls for my little guy.. It's starting to look like a decent home now. I put the tree in and he instantly went up it and went to sleep ❤. I'd say he likes it so far
296dcb384ae884f0ce94e4b7c170e7f7.jpg
03efb48d6e0f53edbe70a80f62b470b7.jpg

looking good! he/she looks content in the bush lol

Bambino2988

Bearded Dragon Egg
I was thinking about getting another one to put into the tank with this one so he/she can have a friend. What's everyone's thoughts on this?

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
Beardies are solitary lizards, he'll be better off on his own. Most of ours are housed separately. Unlike other animals, these guys fly solo. Your enclosure is lookin good☺

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk