• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First shedding

VeraR13

Hatchling Dragon
My baby beardie just started having his first shed. What can I do to help him? I know with the anoles, we must more often, but we have never listed Spike's enclosure and he hates baths.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You can take him out and mist him, or make him bathe at least long enough to do a gentle rub with a toothbrush. Misting the tank would only raise the humidity..

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As babies bathing is something they learn to like or tolerate. But most end up liking it, mine do their business in there so

VeraR13

Hatchling Dragon
You can take him out and mist him, or make him bathe at least long enough to do a gentle rub with a toothbrush. Misting the tank would only raise the humidity..

Thanks. I guess I just have to force him to bathe. That is aweful.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just go slow only fill warm water to his elbows. Just never leave him un attended. I keep my hand in there for comfort. My male isnt thrilled with them but at times loves them. They both hated them at first.
Soft bristled! And go in direction of scales. Dont force and no peeling them off. But if fully lifted and hanging you can. Just dont wanna hurt new scales. Its like us peeling off from a sunburn its tender.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
When mine were babies, I put something in their bath so they could get out of the water when they got scared and then slowly poured the water over them with a little cup. I had a resin "tree" that we got in the aquarium section. They loved it. They would sit in the water for a minute, then climb their tree and go back and forth between the water and the tree.

VeraR13

Hatchling Dragon
I did the warm water only to his feet first and only time I tried it. He is still skittish about being held, so I didn't want to make him stay in the water. I will tonight though. Is there a time frame, like how many hours before lights out, that you would want bathe them?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I did the warm water only to his feet first and only time I tried it. He is still skittish about being held, so I didn't want to make him stay in the water. I will tonight though. Is there a time frame, like how many hours before lights out, that you would want bathe them?

You want to make sure they get nice and dry before bed so at least an hour

Dragnmum

Hatchling Dragon
How old is yours? Mine did a minor shed a few weeks back but I think it's almost time for a full shed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VeraR13

Hatchling Dragon
How old is yours? Mine did a minor shed a few weeks back but I think it's almost time for a full shed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do not know exactly how old he is. I have only owned him for a month and forgot to ask his age when I bought him. I did give him a bath tonight and used a very soft bristled brush. He still hates the water, but he did cling to me for dear life. He calmed down for a bit.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I do not know exactly how old he is. I have only owned him for a month and forgot to ask his age when I bought him. I did give him a bath tonight and used a very soft bristled brush. He still hates the water, but he did cling to me for dear life. He calmed down for a bit.

lol just give it time mine would run like on a treadmill on the sides of the bathroom sink lol slowly but surly they got used to it, however there are some that just don't like them but when they get poop all over themselves a bath is necessary..

VeraR13

Hatchling Dragon
Just go slow only fill warm water to his elbows. Just never leave him un attended. I keep my hand in there for comfort. My male isnt thrilled with them but at times loves them. They both hated them at first.
Soft bristled! And go in direction of scales. Dont force and no peeling them off. But if fully lifted and hanging you can. Just dont wanna hurt new scales. Its like us peeling off from a sunburn its tender.

He did much better this time. He was still scared, but I kept both hands under him like an island and only got his legs and belly wet. Then when he relaxed as little more, I brushed his head where he likes to be rubbed between their eyes and down the neck didn't get any of 5th remaining shed off as he had gotten it all but his face and around neck like a mane off by using his little fake trees on his mountain. It was pretty ingenious. I also suspect he might have used the water bowl some since there was a big piece of skin there. I wasn't home, so I cannot be sure. Anyway, he is dry and it is annoying him again so he is back to rubbing his face on his rock mountain. Poor fellow. Good night all.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He did much better this time. He was still scared, but I kept both hands under him like an island and only got his legs and belly wet. Then when he relaxed as little more, I brushed his head where he likes to be rubbed between their eyes and down the neck didn't get any of 5th remaining shed off as he had gotten it all but his face and around neck like a mane off by using his little fake trees on his mountain. It was pretty ingenious. I also suspect he might have used the water bowl some since there was a big piece of skin there. I wasn't home, so I cannot be sure. Anyway, he is dry and it is annoying him again so he is back to rubbing his face on his rock mountain. Poor fellow. Good night all.

Yea they will rub on things to get it off and that's just fine, shedding is kinda rough on them and they can get grumpy, some don't eat as much and then there are some that it goes just fine no changes in eating or behavior..

VeraR13

Hatchling Dragon
Yea they will rub on things to get it off and that's just fine, shedding is kinda rough on them and they can get grumpy, some don't eat as much and then there are some that it goes just fine no changes in eating or behavior..
He is definitely in that latter category. Snatched two crickets from me before I could set them down. One of the crickets moved and he for us both. Boy was I glad he is still a baby. Lol

VeraR13

Hatchling Dragon
He is definitely in that latter category. Snatched two crickets from me before I could set them down. One of the crickets moved and he for us both. Boy was I glad he is still a baby. Lol

That was supposed to say he bit is both. He has been extra cautious since. I think he knew he got me even though I didn't make a sound. [emoji6]