• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First beardie and reptile intro and some questions.

Trevor barcello

Hatchling Dragon
Hello all I'm trevor and I just got my first bearded dragon last week as a baby. I've always wanted one but just being too young I didn't know if I would be around to keep it. Now I'm established and I finally got one last week 7/13.

I started off with a 40 gallon tank,bark(changed to tile),
Zoo med 100w basking light, reptisun 10.0 UVB tube, repti sun t8 30" sitting on top of the mesh. the uvb light has been turning off since randomly since Monday, sometimes I'll walk in and the uvb is off! I just tap it and it turns on again. I've tried flipping the bulb. I'm gonna try to get a new one tmrw when the store opens.

Have you ever had trouble with the uvb lights turning off randomly?

I bought the dragon from lll reptile and it seemed to be the alpha:) he ate pretty slow at first but he's starting to pick up. I started with a big box of crickets and the Dubias. I got a box of hornworms the day after.The Dubias were nice until I told my girlfriend about them so I'm stuck with the crickets. I started with just dumping them in the tank and only did that one once lol...I tried putting him in a. Clear rubber ware with them I think he just gets stressed out trying to climb out. So now I just take all his stuff out basking spot ornaments and just feed him one cricket at a time and just drop it rite next to him. He gets a lot in him that way at least.

With the hornworms the guy at the shop said they would eat them but I didn't realize how fast the grow now they are huge. They seem almost full size! I looked at videos but the dragons are a bit older.

Can I feed these big horned worms to my little baby dragon????
Alsso with the veggies i only hand feed him a tiny bit, he takes one huge bite of collars greens or mango. Should I be worried about him taking too big a bite?

Should I bath her or just spray her with water. I just spray her a little bit after she eats?

Also with the reflection should I be worried about her looking at it. It distracts her when she's trying to chase crickets.?

She has a lot of those stress marks should I just give it time? I don't know how old she was when I got her but I've had her a week in her new place.

Thanks for reading and any tips would be appreciated I wanna spoil the heck out of her:)

Btw I know I'm sorry I don't have a cool name for her yet...

Thank you so much everyone these forums are so helpful:)
Also I'm on 14 hours on 10 off.

Attachments

• IMG_0570.JPG
    IMG_0570.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0540.JPG
    IMG_0540.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0577.JPG
    IMG_0577.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 22

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi welcome to BDF. Congrats on your new beardie, there is a wealth of information available here and some genuine experts to answer your questions as they arise. First regarding feeding, as babies are so small you can only feed them small insects, a general rule is nothing larger than the space between their eyes, so hornworms are a no go till they are much older. Crickets should be baby sized too and everything should be dusted with calcium and gut loaded prior to feeding. Look here for food info:
http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/threads/bearded-dragon-diet-nutritional-information.3959/
Telling the sex of babies is impossible till they reach about 6 months old, yours looks to be a couple of months old, untill then they all look female.
Some other useful threads for you to check out:

http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/threads/general-info-set-up-1st-timers.13863/
http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/An-In-Depth-Look-At-UV-Light-And-Its-Proper-Use-With-Reptiles/
http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/threads/diseases.13956/

There is a lot to learn, but you are in the right place, shame about the dubias, they are the best

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
oh, sounds like you have a loose or snapped wire in your lamp (the fitting rather than the bulb), return it if you can, if not it should be an easy enough fix. Check all screws are tight (they can vibrate themselves loose, but not usually in a new lamp)

Trevor barcello

Hatchling Dragon
Cool thanks!!! I tried all the screws and fasteners on the light but it still didn't work I just got another one. Is her legs hanging off like that normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum and you have been given some good advice and the links that we have worked to put together to help people..
Hornworms are deceiving as they are huge however they are like bags of fluids and guts and deflate once they are bitten (I know kinda gross but..) so if you have some that are small it is possible HOWEVER I would wait a bit longer for your little one to get a bit bigger.
You can start doing bath time and many will do their drinking from that, just never leave them alone while in there as it doesn't take much for them to get in trouble..warm water just up to elbows..

they will "rest" in the funniest positions.

Latest posts