• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding difficulties

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey guys! I've had my bearded dragon, Odahviing for just under I year 1/2. I got her in February 2016 at what I would estimate to be about 7-8 inches and she has reached roughly 16 inches though by no means is an adult as she isn't thick enough yet. Some of these questions are going to sound strange and very basic but lately I've been struggling to feed her because not only has she become a seriously picky eater (even refusing her favorites when she's not in the mood) but also has a very random, unpredictable appetite. Sure I think she should put on some weight but It's not like she's malnourished or anything and she certainly does eat. Sometimes she looks decently fat and other times a little thinner than she should be. I'm knee deep in confusion right now. My first probably dumb question is how often should a bearded dragon eat? I have a book on beardie care and I frequent lots of websites devoted to reptiles and I get mixed answers to that. Most animals you can feed every other day and others twice a week and a few every day but it's all over the place for bearded dragons. Some sources say feed them fruits and vegetables daily and some insects, worms and meat every other day while others say occasionally and offer some fruits and veggies only as treats. Here's the problem, no way is she going to eat fruits and veggies everyday. Usually half the time she ignores them and the other half she takes a couple bites and then leaves the rest to rot over the next few days. It's rare for her to finish a bowl and she likely won't accept the food unless it's cut a certain size. She gives up on pieces that are too big but totally ignores tiny chunks put in the food processor. I'm tired of putting in huge bowls of veggies just for them to end up being ignored and starting to smell over a few days. Her staples are sweet potatoes, parsnips and escarole and spaghetti squash if we have it but I try to keep her diet diverse with all kinds of veggies and fruit but she's still picky. Sweet potatoes were once her favorite and the only thing she accepted eagerly recently was a hunk of watermelon which she destroyed but I don't want to give her too much of that. She responds very well to movement and loves animal based food and always chases crickets and if available roaches. She also loves an occasional frozen pinky. Normally she likes nightcrawlers and superworms too but sometimes she will lose interest in them. She hasn't even touched nightcrawlers recently. I only have so many crickets at a time and she shares them with my other terrarium animals. I had a similar dramatic decrease in appetite with my pacman frog and when I asked about it on another forum they said he had just reached an age where he has to eat far less and can easily eat once or twice a week. I'm thinking maybe it's the same with my bearded dragon. Do you think it would be safe to just feed her good portions twice a week like I do with my frogs, snake and tarantulas? I know those animals have slower metabolisms than bearded dragons but still it might improve her appetite and feeding response. My 2nd dumb question is how much should she eat? could it be I'm giving her too much? I wonder if I shouldn't give her portions smaller or the same size as her head? When it comes to crickets could she get away with eating 10 at a time or does she need more? Again she isn't huge. I doubt that she isn't warm enough as it's usually 65-90 degrees outside this time of year and she finally has a brand new mercury vapor bulb after several months with just a regular heat bulb after her old one burned out. Here's my last question. To help me keep her diet diverse and interesting I need to know what is toxic to them. I know bearded dragons can eat most fruits and vegetables at least in moderation but some such as avocados need to be avoided at all costs. Could someone tell me what fruits and veggies she absolutely cannot eat? Here's a picture of her I got just a few minutes ago with a 12 ounce coke can for a size reference not including tail. Thank you all! I very much appreciate any help anybody can offer. Sorry this was so long.

Attachments

• Odahviing size.JPG
    Odahviing size.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 44

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She looks good from the picture.. In the links below my comment we have food links that most of us use and it tells you how often to feed each item.

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
She looks good from the picture.. In the links below my comment we have food links that most of us use and it tells you how often to feed each item.

Thanks Hdrydr31! This is looking much more doable provided she stops being so picky. I never thought about using sweet pollen before! That might peak her interest!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I reuse the greens and give the uneaten to the feeder bugs. Dexter is 4 1/2 and a huge picky eater. Some days she feels real heavy and others she feels light but when I weigh her there is no difference in her weight. I think seeing other dragons and then looking at her makes me think there is something wrong with her. I put salads in their tanks every day. I know that Dexter won't even taste it but I still try. What I do is I trick her to eat them by sticking a piece in her mouth when she's chewing a bug. I offer live gut loaded food everyday. Some days she doesn't want to eat and that is okay because I know one of the days I offer food she is going to eat it.

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I reuse the greens and give the uneaten to the feeder bugs. Dexter is 4 1/2 and a huge picky eater. Some days she feels real heavy and others she feels light but when I weigh her there is no difference in her weight. I think seeing other dragons and then looking at her makes me think there is something wrong with her. I put salads in their tanks every day. I know that Dexter won't even taste it but I still try. What I do is I trick her to eat them by sticking a piece in her mouth when she's chewing a bug. I offer live gut loaded food everyday. Some days she doesn't want to eat and that is okay because I know one of the days I offer food she is going to eat it.

Thanks PatsyB! That's actually not a bad idea maybe giving her some spaghetti squash which she loves while she's devouring more enticing insects. I do try to reuse the veggies but they dry out so quick under that heat bulb. Either way maybe if she refuses food for a couple days it will mean she'll be hungry sooner or later :)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I mist their salads a couple times during the daytime hours, I also make sure I put them on their cool side not under the lighting if possible. This does extend them a bit but they still end up dry..

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You said that she eats some of the salad and then leaves the rest to rot over the next few days. As mentioned, definitely put the food bowl on the cool side so the veggies last longer.

Definitely give her fresh veggies often though. I give mine fresh veggies in the morning, and if she eats it all, i give her more. I give her access to unlimited vegetables. But before lights out, clean the food bowl out. Mine knows when the veggies aren't fresh and refuses to eat them when they start to dry out or they're no good. You're probably deterring her from eating them if you're letting them sit in there to rot for days.

When i go to the store on sunday, i get the veggies, cut them up, and put them in a plastic container in the fridge. That way its super easy just to refill her bowl all week. I get different veggies every week also so that she doesn't get bored and obviously give her a variety of nutrients.

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You said that she eats some of the salad and then leaves the rest to rot over the next few days. As mentioned, definitely put the food bowl on the cool side so the veggies last longer.

Definitely give her fresh veggies often though. I give mine fresh veggies in the morning, and if she eats it all, i give her more. I give her access to unlimited vegetables. But before lights out, clean the food bowl out. Mine knows when the veggies aren't fresh and refuses to eat them when they start to dry out or they're no good. You're probably deterring her from eating them if you're letting them sit in there to rot for days.

When i go to the store on sunday, i get the veggies, cut them up, and put them in a plastic container in the fridge. That way its super easy just to refill her bowl all week. I get different veggies every week also so that she doesn't get bored and obviously give her a variety of nutrients.

That is an amazing point. Maybe interestingly varied combined with regular changes will get her more used to seeing fresh stuff and she'll get the hint and take the opportunity to eat.