• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Eye infection?

Jadyn.calhoun

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have had my beardie for about a month and a half and he seems very healthy, he gets about 20-30 crickets a day and he's about 5 months old. He's a normal size-if not large and we've had no problems other than this one. Every since we got him, he has had a bit of a crust around his eyes. I clean it with water everyday but it seems pretty stuck and I'm too scared to put too much pressure on it. When we first got him, there was a bit of red, almost like a scratch. So I figured it was done by one of his siblings or possibly a cricket and that it would go away so long as I cleaned it and kept an eye on it. I've consulted the place I got him from twice (in person) and both times they thought it to be stuck shed. Because of how long it's been there, I'm not too sure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 411

Rex Carnage

Hatchling Dragon
its hard to tell sense the picture isnt very focused so i might be able to actually comment if you can get a really good detailed picture

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree a better picture would be helpful as I can't see the details around the eye..It could have been caused by anything or it could be something else that may need vet assistance if it's an infection..

Jadyn.calhoun

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sorry about that, he's really active and I couldn't get him to stay still. I forgot to add that the store I purchased him from had him on eco earth, so I was thinking that might've gotten in his eye. I kept him on that for about a week after just to make sure he wasn't getting too overwhelmed with the changes

Attachments

• IMG_2748.JPG
    IMG_2748.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_2749.JPG
    IMG_2749.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_2750.JPG
    IMG_2750.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 398

Rex Carnage

Hatchling Dragon
Sorry about that, he's really active and I couldn't get him to stay still. I forgot to add that the store I purchased him from had him on eco earth, so I was thinking that might've gotten in his eye. I kept him on that for about a week after just to make sure he wasn't getting too overwhelmed with the changes

im no expert but usually shed in general on bearded dragons just looks like a grey cloudy layer of skin, even around the eyes and face so in my honestly opinion that doesnt look like stuck shed, to me it looks like scale rot. if it turns out to be stuck shed then its probably been there a very long time and caused an infection, did you happen to buy from a chain pet store or a family owned pet store? no names are needed.

Rex Carnage

Hatchling Dragon

ill let others comment their opinion as well and if we all determine its probably scale rot then I honestly don't mind ill do some research for you and help you figure out how to help it heal and whatnot, if it involves any meds of any kind id suggest taking it to a vet first but any natural solutions or easy on flesh/scale cleaners ill let you know

Jadyn.calhoun

Bearded Dragon Egg
im no expert but usually shed in general on bearded dragons just looks like a grey cloudy layer of skin, even around the eyes and face so in my honestly opinion that doesnt look like stuck shed, to me it looks like scale rot. if it turns out to be stuck shed then its probably been there a very long time and caused an infection, did you happen to buy from a chain pet store or a family owned pet store? no names are needed.
Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. It was a family owned business and they specialized in reptiles. They had been open 30 years so you'd think they would know what they were doing but you never know lol. I think I'll look up some images of stuck shed and scale rot so I can maybe see if either of the two look similar. I've been planning on a vet trip, so I'll try and get a better idea of what I'm dealing with.

Rex Carnage

Hatchling Dragon
yeah thats why its always a good idea to read on some forums and websites about what to look out for when buying any reptile (or any animal for that matter). let us know how things turn out if you end up going to the vet and whatnot. if it turns out that its scale rot id personally suggest taking care of him and getting him healthy and never buying anything from that place again if they cant actually tell the difference professionally between a sickness and a natural cause like shedding. also (if it turns out to be scale rot) id suggest telling anyone that you hear of that plans on buying a reptile not to buy from there, dont go out of your way to bash them but id rather see a business that doesnt treat their animals professionally go out of business. once again im not an expert so i could be wrong about this but those are my opinions.

Jadyn.calhoun

Bearded Dragon Egg
yeah thats why its always a good idea to read on some forums and websites about what to look out for when buying any reptile (or any animal for that matter). let us know how things turn out if you end up going to the vet and whatnot. if it turns out that its scale rot id personally suggest taking care of him and getting him healthy and never buying anything from that place again if they cant actually tell the difference professionally between a sickness and a natural cause like shedding. also (if it turns out to be scale rot) id suggest telling anyone that you hear of that plans on buying a reptile not to buy from there, dont go out of your way to bash them but id rather see a business that doesnt treat their animals professionally go out of business. once again im not an expert so i could be wrong about this but those are my opinions.
Yeah I totally agree with you. I'm so mad at myself because I should've taken a hint when they pointed out that another sibling had something similar (although they said it was from a cricket). I will definitely not be supporting their business anymore. (lol I wrote this a few minutes after you posted and forgot to hit send, sorry about that )

Rex Carnage

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah I totally agree with you. I'm so mad at myself because I should've taken a hint when they pointed out that another sibling had something similar (although they said it was from a cricket). I will definitely not be supporting their business anymore. (lol I wrote this a few minutes after you posted and forgot to hit send, sorry about that )

Well the bright thing to take out of this is now your taking care of the reptile and although I don't know how you care for your animals, the fact that you came here searching for answers shows alot, I don't have any experience with scale rot myself but from what I've learned and heard it's relatively easy to deal with, as it's around the eye that could potentially blind the reptile in that eye so I would highly suggest seeking professional help from a vet that is specifically trained for EXOTIC REPTILES. don't go to just any vet as I've heard of alot of cases where they give wrong and/or harmful advice.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Something looks off but I can't put my finger on it. I would have a vet look at him and rule out any sort of infection or scale rot. In the mean time you can flush the eye with sterile saline solution to see if that helps.

Rex Carnage

Hatchling Dragon
I have had my beardie for about a month and a half and he seems very healthy, he gets about 20-30 crickets a day and he's about 5 months old. He's a normal size-if not large and we've had no problems other than this one. Every since we got him, he has had a bit of a crust around his eyes. I clean it with water everyday but it seems pretty stuck and I'm too scared to put too much pressure on it. When we first got him, there was a bit of red, almost like a scratch. So I figured it was done by one of his siblings or possibly a cricket and that it would go away so long as I cleaned it and kept an eye on it. I've consulted the place I got him from twice (in person) and both times they thought it to be stuck shed. Because of how long it's been there, I'm not too sure.

have you found out exactly what is going on with the skin around his eye?

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
I agree with Patsy, somethings not right, and at least for me when in doubt see a vet, keep us posted

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Rex Carnage

Hatchling Dragon

Any news on the beardies heath?