• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Euthanising 10 yr. old dragon:(

sandyj

Bearded Dragon Egg
I logged on to this site in the hope that someone can help me with this sad situation that we're in. Rockie, our 10 year old dragon, is in bad shape. He has cage dementia, flips on his back several times a day, and literally wobbles and shakes to eat his salad. He's been with us for so long he's like one of the children, so I can't take this anymore! Watching him trying to eat is breaking my heart. We hand feed him crickets and worms just to get something in his belly. We euthanise our dogs and cats, but we're alittle more aware of their maladies. How do you know if a dragon is suffering? When do you make that determination? More importanly, what do we do now? I hate the thought that he's going through any discomfort. I know that many of you will not understand this post, but please know, we love our dragon, that's why we need to do what's right for him now. Does anyone know..will a regular (dog/cat)vet euthanise a dragon? Or, is there something (preferable) that we can do at home? Crying so damned hard right now..so please don't beat me up. Just trying to do the humane thing.

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
:( awww my sincerest apologies!!!!!! very sorry 2 hear bout ur poor dragon!!! that wud be a very tough situation!!!! my thoughts & prayers are with u & ur beardie!!!!!!

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey, Sandy. I'm really sorry to hear about what's going on with Rockie. I know the idea of saying goodbye & letting go is very painful & is something myself & some of the other members can relate to. Please know that the staff & members of BDF are here to support & help in any way possible during this unfortunate time.