• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dragon SHOUT! A Long Story Worth Telling

Menolly07

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My husband and I received a super-surprise holiday gift from his sister on Christmas Eve. I'm a big believer in "never give animals for gifts if you don't check first." She is DARN lucky I have a soft spot for all creatures (except spiders O.O') It went something like the following:

Hands wine bottle sized gift bag, "I wanted to give you something really, really special for Christmas to say thank you for everything you do for us. So here." Hubby opens the bag. Two small, two cup sized containers inside, odd white with writing on them, "He's a bearded dragon. See, somebody accidentally hurt him when they were cleaning the cage (Note: She's a groomer at PetSmart) and so his hand may be paralyzed forever, but he can walk just fine. The other is crickets." I just sort of stared at her. We all sort of stared at her. My brain whirred. Slow as mollasses left on the front porch, we live in Pennsylvania, which is in the North-East of the United States for those outside America. Whir. Whir. Whirwhirwhir.

"I'm sorry, what-now? You did what?" I tried not to sound rude. Truth-be-told, I was thouroughly and completely shocked into submission at that moment. I think my mouth was hanging open, and I do believe I had not taken a breath for, perhaps, a good thirty seconds. "A lizard? You gave us a lizard you say?"

She stared back at me, "Yyyyeeessssss?" The tone of her voice was stunned, almost as though *I* were the slow one and perhaps needed to be held back in Christmas present school because obviously I did not know that I was meant to say thank you now, take the lizard and go home until the shock wore off.

"And he's a gimpy lizard...... Wait.... This is like the hamster isn't it?" She had given me a hamster a few years back, a result of a miss-gendered hamster mother who was accidentally placed in an all male hamster store. Hamsters did what hamsters do and.. Well..... There were babies. I took one of them as she tearfully told me it was that or he would be snake food. "So...... You're giving us...... A lizard."

"Why? I thought you were scared of spiders!!! You're not afraid of lizards are you," that last part was said in an almost accusatory tone, as though she were scolding me for not informing her of this imagined phobia I was only now informing her of... Now... At Christmas.. To the ruination of her gift... The surprise gimpy lizard.

"No.. I'm not scared of lizards. I don't... I mean.. I just.." The shock had begun to wear off, and my brain finally caught up, "Becky!! We have SIX CATS!" I have a habit of my own, I rescue animals and the ones that simply haven't been able to be rehomed have stayed. "I mean... Where will I PUT him?? Is it a him? How old is he?"

"I don't know! And I got you a cage and a light! A red one for night and a white one for day and a light fixture," she started rattling off a list, and I sort of stared at her, blinking.

My husband sort of came to life. He had been staring at the tiny container with the just as tiny baby beardie inside, "A..... Lizard.....?"

Becky and I both paused, our heads turned and we stared at him. For just one moment he became the slowest person in the room. That was a record considering the youngest had just turned two on December 13th. However, I always thought my nephew Liam was rather bright. Wayne, my husband, fell back into the safety of silence as the women returned to their "discussion."

Becky continued, "He really is fine. And I have the stuff for you..." She looked so hopeful and serious and really had meant it to be a sweet gesture for both us and for the little guy that I couldn't say no to her. I never could say no anyway, not to hurt animals that had no place else to go.

We held him a little and warmed him up, took him home, found the perfect spot, spent some time with him and fell in love. Two days later we went out and spent entirely to much money on a "gimpy lizard." Now my mornings are spent lightly shaking crickets in calcium dust while happily telling him, "It's Shake and Bake, and I halped." I check the temperature, with TWO thermometers. I change the newspapers. I make sure his crickets fit between his eyes. He's taken a warm bath once already.

We went through a few thoughts on names for him, the main ones were Cyprium Draconis and, jokingly, Fos (for Fos Ro Dah, a Dragon Shout from the video game Skyrim). Fos led us to deciding to name him Odahviing. A dragon in Skyrim is named Odahviing, and his name becomes the Dragon Shout to summon him. His name literally means "Winged Snow Hunter". Perfect for a Christmas lizard.

tl;dr Surprise Christmas Lizard is Awesome!

DougT

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Great story, love Christmas stories with happy endings. We also became Beardie Parents to" surprize" Christmas Beardies one year ago when our oldest son gave us TWO, 1 month old hatchlings Christmas eve. Well happy ending, both our babies are doing exellent, are easilly TEN times the size as we received them and own both mine and my wifes heart's. As for names Jesus( pronounced Hey Zues) and Littleone seemed appropriate Christmas names

Attachments

• 623.jpg
    623.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 19

Menolly07

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'm so the neurotic lizard momma right now. "Why aren't you eating?" the first few days. Then he ate like a fiend. Then he had a poop. Then he ate a little less. I noticed he seemed to not be hungry until he eliminated and got to know his digestion. Once I began to understand how his insides work I was more comfortable with his outsides. I'm less gentle with him now. He's got a spot on his neck that I was afraid to touch, behind his ear hole bu in front of this "frill." I thought it was sensitive, turns out he LOVES it to be rubbed. Now his skin is sloughing off the hurt leg, and the yellow is coming through. The finger swelling has gone down on his paw, and it's a little stunted but the nails are there on all but the 'ring' finger. He's turned into a climber and is making the rounds with the cats. He's also a little flirt and loves to crawl and nest into our friend's very long, very thick hair. <3 the little bastard.