• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

constant scratching at plastic food bowl

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
my beardie the past couple days has been constantly scratching at his food dish, for like 10-15 minutes at a time multiple times during the day. hes about 8-10 months old i think. im not positive, the breeder never gave me an age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
interesting. how long have you had him? what colour is the food dish? what and how often do you feed?

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
interesting. how long have you had him? what colour is the food dish? what and how often do you feed?
ive had him for about 6-7 months. this is his dish
d3da94ebc9d295593c2c6d61de3c811d.jpg
i feed him 8-10 crickets a day, and about a handful of kale.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
he is also roughly 14 inches in a 40 gal breeder with repticarpet and two half logs with a driftwood basking spot

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
couple things come to mind - i think he needs more food. young uns need more proteint than they do when they age, but i;m guessin that he could probably gobble up a bit more. try feeding him in another container - a large cardboard box or rubbermaid tub would do - and let him eat as many crickets as he wants to in a 10 to 15 minute time period twice a day. younger beardies get that offering 3 times daily. ya also might want to switch up his protein source - dubias, superworms, black soldier fly larvae - see the links below for some suggestions on that. crickets are a pain in the patootee. also switch up the kale - kale is ok, but NOT good daily - there are so many other choices. again - take a look at the links below. dandelion greens, beet greens, pea pods, squash - the list is long. The other thought was that he may be scratching to wear away his nails - i'm guessing this is a plastic dish? try putting a ceramic tile somewhere in his tank - rocks work, too - for him to wear his nails on. my last male had a habit of gnawing on the rocks - until i got him healthy (his previous owner only fed him meal worms)

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
aghh i feel so bad now because i cant quite afford that many crickets. also, my parents REFUSE anything to do with dubias and worms. are there any greens/supplements that offer more protein? preferably a powder? i feel so quilty i wish i could do more.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
Maybe even trying to dig? Are you sure its a male?
im not quite positive.. i havent tried sexing it but based on the things he used to do everything points to a male. he used to head bob and wave all the time. plus he almost always has a black beard

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
also once i move (end of the month) i plan on putting slate tile instead of repticarpet. way easier to clean and looks nicer in my opinion

Willtheeman

Hatchling Dragon
To make sure it's a male, you could look by his pooper (vent) and if u see two small bulges it's a male, if only one or seems flat, it's female. Also, you can try putting a flashlight on top of his tail and look under and if you could see through it, you might see his hemipenis.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk